𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐎

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

CHAPTER TWO:

A CHANGE OF HEART

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

CORIOLANUS SNOW HAS ALWAYS BEEN PROUD. As in, too proud to ask for help, well from anyone other than Tigris. If someone would offer him a bit of extra food, he'd try to play it off as if he'd eat it just so that they didn't have to throw it away. He'd never let on that this would be the first real food he'd eaten in who knows how long, because often all they could afford were potatoes.

There was a brief moment during last years games where he became power hungry. When it seemed like Lucy Gray might actually win and he learned of all that would happen to and for mentors that ended up with a winning tribute.

He nearly gave in. Tired of a life of wondering where his next meal might come from, or if people would notice his too-tight shoes or that his uniform wasn't as neat as the others, he wanted more.

The games weren't something he paid close attention to before becoming a mentor. After being assured his name would never be drawn, Coriolanus stopped caring.

Then he saw firsthand just how horrible the games actually were. Witnessed the cruel treatment of the tributes before being thrown into an arena and made to fight to the death. Slowly but surely, he began to have a change of heart.

But despite how he has carried himself in the past, and how he began to realize the way he'd been thinking wasn't right, he knows all of that has gone out the window. Because even now before they'd officially met, he is sure without a doubt that he will once again risk everything for Nova May Winter. Call it an affect of the soulmate bond, or yet another change of heart, whatever it is, Coriolanus knows he will do whatever it takes to make sure she survives.

Luck was partially on his side, in that her fellow district tribute was assigned to Sejanus. Based on Nova May's reaction when Archer's name was called, he guessed they were friends similar to Lucy Gray and Jessup.

"— okay?"

Coriolanus nearly jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder, but he turned and calmed once he realized that it was only Sejanus.