𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

CHAPTER THREE:

MAKING AN ENEMY

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

NOVA MAY WAS TERRIFIED FOR ARCHER. From the day they met when they were just 6 years old, it didn't take long for them to declare the other their best friend. Naturally, Archer developed quite the protective nature when it came to Nova May. And that was exactly why she was so afraid for him.

A few years ago when they were 15, a boy had shoved Nova May because she said she was glad that he wasn't her soulmate. Unfortunately for him, Archer had witnessed the whole ordeal. The next day the boy was sporting a black eye and had a slight limp as he walked up to Nova May and apologized profusely. After that he never bothered her again.

Another time, just a year prior, Nova May witnessed how quick Archer was to turn to anger. Never towards her, but to anyone who showed him even the slightest bit of disrespect. And if it was her that the disrespect was directed towards, let's just say that the bullies in the district quickly learned that Nova May was off limits.

One thing that had been made abundantly clear was that for the games, there could be only one winner.

Archer was always quick to come to his best friends defense, to put her life before his. She just hoped that he'd put that aside and worry about his own safety for once.

To say Nova May was nervous would be the understatement of a lifetime. Even from watching last years games, it was clear that first impressions amongst the tributes were everything.

Make a good first impression, and you'd have most of your fellow tributes wanting to form a temporary alliance with you. A bad one, and you were more likely to turn them all against you. But on the other hand, your impression couldn't be too good. Do that, and you'd be labeled a threat. And the biggest threats were often taken care of first.

This was the debate Nova May and Archer were having when they were walking to the training facility. It was on the opposite side of the massive property, and a note taped to the outside of their door let them know that their mentors would be meeting them there.