𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑

a/n january 15, 2024: just tiny edits,
nothing significant is changing!

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

CHAPTER FOUR:

I'LL KEEP YOU SAFE

────────── · 。゚☆: .☽ . :☆゚. ──────────

ALMOST IMMEDIATELY, NOVA MAY IS WARY. She only hopes that the 2 boys don't notice her and Archer exchange a nervous glance, but unbeknownst to her, they do.

"Uh — no, go ahead," Archer answers for them.

"I'm Aemond," the one with the eye patch says. "That's Cassian, we're district two."

Nova May attempts to seem braver than she feels. "I'm Nova May, this is Archer. District twelve."

Not wanting to make any immediate enemies, Archer puts on a smile and holds his hand out to Aemond. Though he doubts Nova May will want an alliance with them, he knows they'd be stupid to piss them off before training has even started.

The district 2 tributes share a brief glance before Aemond grins and shakes Archer's hand. Nova May can't help but feel uneasy at his smile, knowing it probably wasn't genuine. Sejanus' words play over and over in her mind. They're not good people.

"You put on quite a show at your reaping," this time it's Cassian who speaks to Nova May. "What did that girl do to you anyway?"

"I —"

That smirk returns to their faces. "We won't tell anyone. Must've been something serious."

"The reaping was rigged. She got her father, our mayor, to call my name. Because she thought... she thought I wanted her boyfriend. When she tripped me as I was walking to the stage, I got mad."

Aemond does a slow clap, "made for quite the entertainment, I bet you've already got sponsors lined up just from that."

"I wouldn't know," Nova May shrugs. "They haven't said anything about sponsors yet."

Cassian speaks up again. "I would've killed her," he says it so nonchalantly that Nova May and Archer both freeze for a couple of seconds. They quickly recover, both doing a sort of nervous laugh.