In Your Eyes

All the people around her say that she's lucky. Her friends think that she's so cool because she gets to work overseas, doing what she loves. Who would have thought a full-time job with health benefits, and her salary is more than enough for her to move out of her parents' house, and get herself her own place.

Michelle remembers the first time she stepped foot inside of that tall building, located at the centre of the buzzing City of Bangkok, Thailand. Being intimidated by the people who work there. Neatly dressed in their dry cleaned corporate attires. Suits and ties, pantsuits or skirts.

It was the interview that terrified her the most. Being alone in an unfamiliar country, working with people that have high expectations when it comes to getting the job done.

She was so nervous that she wanted to vomit. Not expecting that the owner of the company would be the one who's going to do the interview.

It was still etched on her mind, she was wearing her thick rimmed glasses, berating herself for forgetting to wear her lenses, her hair's a mess after running while the rain was pouring, and the humidity in Thailand doesn't really help her dilemma.

Totally regretting why she opted to ride the subway instead of taking a cab to get to her destination. Knowing the weather would be bad, but her stubborn ass ignored the weather forecast on her phone.

Even after getting her degree in Psychology, at the back of her head was the thought of pursuing a career in fashion. It's far related to her degree in college. It was a challenge she gave herself to take upon.

She could have worked for her grandfather's company,
But no, Michelle didn't want any of that.

"Why do you have to go to Thailand for a job? If you don't want to practice your degree then come work for me, I'm even willing to pay you double." Her father offered, but there's no stopping her as soon as she finalised her decision.

So there she was in Thailand out of the many countries she could've chosen. She's going to meet the owner for her interview, but she didn't know which one from the three people sitting in front of her was.

The first one was a middle aged Caucasian man and he was pleasant and nice. The other one in the middle was a woman, the first one who greeted her with a kind smile when she entered the room, even asking her simpler questions about her work experiences.

Then the last one, she looks younger than her, has short hair that reaches her shoulders, and Michelle thought this person doesn't make eye-contact because not once did she look at her, only focusing on looking at the papers in front of her, almost as if she's bored and so ready to get out of there.

Michelle kept on glancing at her though. She's gorgeous and mysterious, her face doesn't have much makeup on, she dresses simple, a black shirt paired with straight cut jeans and a pair of sneakers.

"Are you married, Ms Dee?" The woman in the middle asked. Michelle furrowed her eyebrows because what does her status have to do with working in their company?

"No, ma'am. I have not been married." She answered, confusion written on her face.

The former nodded her head, scribbling something on the paper she was holding.

"Sorry, I had to ask that. I hope it didn't offend you," she smiled apologetically at her. "Because if you're gonna be working here, your schedule is going to be busy. That includes going on a trip with the CEO, also there are times they might need you to stay in the office in later hours than expected, especially if we have events. How about a boyfriend?"

Oh, for Christ's sake! Does anyone have to be single to be able to work here?

"I don't have a boyfriend, ma'am," she paused. "No girlfriend either." She responded timidly, and that answer caught the other girl's attention. It was the first time she looked at Michelle.