Is There Someone Else

Seriously, having a flu and a broken heart, what else could go wrong?

Sniffling, "I'm okay, mum. I did. No, I don't think I can go to work for a few days. Don't worry about me, alright? I'll spend Christmas Day with her until New Year's. Mum, I'll pick her up, okay? I love you too, bye."

"Ugh. I should've put up a sign at the door that says 'No Visitors Allowed'. Dammit, I can't even get off this bed," Michelle mumbled to herself as she slipped out of her bed. Feeling a little dizzy after standing up.

"One second!" She yelled when the buzzing in her door wouldn't stop. Michelle opened the door. To her surprise, it was her boss.

It confused Michelle why her boss was suddenly in her place. She looked like a mess. "Why are you here?"

It sounded a little harsh that it made Ann gape at her.

"Sorry, but w-what are you doing here?" She tried again.

"Oh, uh.. Moraya told me you called in, and I was in the area so I've dropped by, and check if you're okay." Lies. "Here, I got you some food and medicine."

The two girls stood there, and Ann wasn't sure if it's her cue to leave or if she should stay a little longer.

"T-thank you. Would you like to come in?" She opened the door wider so Ann could step inside.

Her place was nice and tidy. Ann turned to look at her assistant, noticing how pale she looked, her nose a little red.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a little dizzy. You can sit. Do you want something to drink?"

"No. I'm okay, thank you. Here, sit with me." Her hand went to hold on her waist while the other held her hand.

Michelle knew her face was turning red from her boss' touch.

"Thank you for dropping by, but you didn't have to." She said as they settled on the couch.

"A-and I'm sorry, I know the company's busy right now because of the holiday deadlines b-but I can't go to work for a few days as you can see."

Ann nodded her head in understanding.

"Hey, it's okay. I understand. Take all the time you need to recuperate." Michelle gave her a grateful smile, "and also, I came here to apologise about our last conversation."

"It's fine. You don't have to apologise."

Shaking her head, "no. I had to, because I was being such a jerk and it wasn't an excuse just 'cause we were having a bad day at work."

"It's about my mum." Ann gazed at her. "She wanted to see me on Christmas day, but I'm reluctant to see her. You see, we haven't been close in a long time. But my relationship with my dad is alright."

Michelle wanted to reach for her hand to comfort her, but she opted not to.

"I'm sorry to hear that. B-but you know it's going to be your choice if you want to or not. If you're uncomfortable to see her and celebrate the holidays with her, then don't go. You can join me if you want."

Shit. She didn't mean to say that out loud. Michelle felt so embarrassed, because why would she invite her boss to spend the holiday with her?

"Uh.."

"I'm sorry that was so out of the blue. Please forget I said that. T-the last part, I mean. It's very wrong of me to say that, and you already probably have plans with your friends or with your boyfriend." She averted her eyes after saying the last part.