Save Your Tears

Michelle kept herself busy while Ann was on a conference call until it was already lunchtime. Knowing that her boss' meeting was still going, she left her desk and used the elevator to go to the cafeteria and have lunch, even if she didn't have the appetite.

What Ann had said, and what it implied still etched on her brain. It's not a valid reason that they haven't known each other fully yet. Because Michelle would never think of her like that. Not even when there's someone out there pretending to be the love of her life.

"Michelle!" Melissa yelled her name, which made everyone look in her direction. "You can eat lunch with us. Come, it's okay."

"Did Ann talk to you?" Suddenly, her tears were threatening to fall once again. She nodded her head as she focused on eating her food.

"Did you two have a fight?"

Michelle cleared her throat. "I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk about it. There are so many prying eyes and ears here, and like she said, we should be professional when we're at work."

The two women were staring at her with concern, she didn't want to cry in front of many people because it would only make them curious and suspicious, it also might become a topic around the office why Anntonia Porsild's assistant was bawling her eyes out in the middle of the day.

"We want to apologise for whatever it was she said to you."

That didn't make her feel better, though. Because they weren't the ones who needed to say sorry.

"You don't have to apologise for something she did or for something she said to me. I appreciate it, Ms Melissa, but I can't accept it."

When she comes back after lunchtime, it's almost time for Anntonia's second meeting of the day. Michelle was dreading going back inside her office. Not wanting them to have another argument, but alas, it was a part of her job to let her know about her next agenda for the day. So, she composed herself before knocking and opening her door.

Unlike this morning, she was already looking at her when she came in. She's not busy writing something anymore. Ann has the time to look at her this time.

"Your meeting will start in five minutes, in conference room number 8. Moraya had already prepared it for you, ma'am, and then onto your last commitment."

Anntonia nodded her head, not taking her eyes away from Michelle.

"A-are you going with us?"

The assistant shook her head. "No ma'am. I'm gonna stay behind. I need to finish your schedule for this week. Because I'm not gonna be here on the twenty-third until the twenty-seventh. I'm going to spend some time with my sister."

"You'll be away for five days?" She asked quietly.

"Yes, ma'am." She checked her watch. "It's time for your meeting."

"A-are you gonna be here until later?"

"Probably. I'll go home after I sort out your schedule."

She gave her a wry smile, and she couldn't stand the awkward and weird tension around them. Because of what she did, this morning was still in her head and every time her mind went there, her chest tightened.

Anntonia's heart was breaking seeing Michelle's sad eyes. Those brown orbs couldn't even look at her directly. She really felt bad and guilty after accusing her of something so horrendous, though she knew deep down Michelle wasn't like that.