Chapter 10 - Surrender

The older townsfolk mourned Maude's passing with solemn reverence. In accordance with the directives created by the community council, all events and celebrations were postponed by two weeks out of respect for the departed individual. This meant that Cassie's wedding, which was supposed to take place in three days time, had to be rescheduled.

Once you knew Maria had broken the news to Cassie you and Kate went to visit her, knowing she would be devastated. The both of you perched on a couch in the living room of the house Cassie shared with her adopted family - fellow survivors who Cassie had known from when she had first been orphaned.

"I really don't want the wedding so close to Christmas," Cassie groaned as she flopped down on the couch. "Plus, it'll be so cold, it is going to start snowing any day now!"

You could appreciate Cassie's frustrations about the forced postponement of the wedding, yet the grief you felt for Maude's death was still raw, and so your capacity for commiseration was very limited. But you still dutifully listened to her lamenting along with Kate.

"I won't be able to have the ceremony in the orchid like I wanted, either." Cassie grumbled and hugged one of the couch cushions tightly to her chest. "I can't believe the council is doing this."

"It has been the town rules since the beginning," Kate said with a shrug. "Yeah it is disappointing, but it's reasonable."

"Yeah, I know, I know," Cassie muttered.

"Maybe you could postpone it until the spring?" You suggested. "That way the orchid will be in full bloom and it won't be snowing. It's only a few more months away."

There was a short silence between the three of you while the merit of your idea sunk in. Just when you were about to regret voicing your idea, Cassie suddenly sat up straight and turned to face you, her features lit up with excitement.

"That's...a great idea," she grabbed one of your hands and grinned widely. "It's actually perfect!"

You chuckled and gave her hand a squeeze. "Really? You like it?"

Cassie nodded eagerly. "Yes! It is amazing! Oh my god, I need to talk to Maria about the new date and the plans will be!"

Kate laughed and patted Cassie's shoulder. "Okay, slow down, there's still plenty of time for that. Matt's with Maria and Tommy today organising the new rosters for patrol, so she's probably too busy to talk about planning your wedding today."

Cassie let out a little huff of indignation and rolled her eyes. "Alright! I guess it'll have to wait. But in the mean time, let's talk about seating arrangements. Who are you girls bringing as dates?"

The question had caught you off guard. You hadn't thought about who you were inviting to the wedding since you asked Joel that night, the night when you had initially broken up with him (or rather, tried to). Kate answered first, rambling about trying to find the right opportunity to ask one of her colleagues she fancied, while you pressed your lips together in a tight line, body going rigid. How were you supposed to answer?

My older secret boyfriend doesn't like socialising and practically hates everyone and thinks stuff like this is a waste of time?

Cassie tapped your knee to get your attention. "What about you? Have you found someone yet?"

You give a small noncommittal shrug, hoping desperately that Cassie won't interrogate you any further, but you know she won't be so easily placated.

"Oh come on!" She swats you playfully. "There has to be someone that you want to ask out. I don't get how you don't have a boyfriend or at least someone to have some fun with!"