Never Be Alone

The winds were whispering in soft murmurs as I waited patiently for you to arrive. You were supposed to treat me today since it's your last day. You're now a fully mature person and will go to college soon. Indeed, time flies by so fast.

You were such a great person for me back in the time. We danced, sang, played, and did all sorts of things we liked. We both loved adventure and we even role-played pirates sailing across the seven seas, astronauts getting ready for a trip on their rocket ship, and pilots zooming across the sky as we see the wonderful creation created by God.

We were siblings who stuck together through thick and thin. As we grew older, we were closer than ever. Time passed by like a blur. Standing here near a tree, I reminisce about our past. I was your 3 years younger sister. You treated me like a baby that is to be handled with care.

"Hey, baby sis..." you said as you went closer to me.

"Will you really go and leave me?" my tears started to form.

"I have to. Well, China isn't very far right?"

"Still, there's no Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media sites there. Except one, which is Weibo." I said as I remembered the horror of seeing Chinese characters that almost made my nose bleed.

"Hahaha! Well, you better start learning."

"Yeah right..." I said and rolled my eyes.

"Do remember, baby sis, that one day, I'll be around to keep you safe and sound. The situation right now is very complicated. But I hereby promise, that your big brother will be studying hard in China for our family's future." Sobbing, you reached to me and hugged me. Caressing my hair and letting me feel the comfort I needed.

"Hey, don't cry. I know there are some things we still need to talk about and achieve. However, I can't stay... Just let me hold you for a little longer. I'm going to miss you so much." There, I cried so much and told you not to go.

"You'll never be alone. You know, when you miss me, just remember that I may be far but never gone. When you fall asleep in the night and have insomnia again, just remember that we lay under the same stars."

I cried again, and minutes passed and I was finally calm.

You took out something in your pocket. You reached out for my hand and put on a half-shaped golden heart necklace.

"Take this necklace as a piece of my heart, so when we are apart, you'll never be alone."

I hugged you for the last time and my vision started to blur.

-----

I woke up. I checked the time, 4:23 AM.

"It's been 3 years," I said as I held the necklace on my chest.