2. Alone

» [NASTY - Zeina] «

0:00 〇───── 2:50

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

°•. ✿ .•°

"My name is Michael Diaz"

"Been a while" I say

"Yeah" he sighs through the speaker

"Why did you call?" I ask, genuinely wondering

"The Sophie smith case" 

"I know, I saw you on the news just now. You think I stuck my fingers through her death box?"

"You're coming to Paris tomorrow yes?" he questions, ignoring my remark.

"I am, why are you wondering"

"Got a call. Diego was his name I think, he wants us to work together. Find out who-"

I hang up

"Ha! No fucking way" I blurt out, swallowing a bite of pizza. If Diego knew what kind of guy he was, there would be no way I would ever have to work with him. I still wonder though, it's been 8 years. Maybe he changed.

I call Diego, it rings...and goes to voicemail

I mutter curses to myself as I change back into my clothes. Leaving half my pizza on its plate, I lock my apartment door and go down the elevator to the lobby.

°•. ✿ .•°

"Diego" I say to Nancy after she asks me who the appointment is for

"He's in a meeting right now, sorry Valerie. He might be a while"

"Please just tell him it's urgent, tell him it's about the case I'm working on"

"No can do buttercup, it's an important meeting"

"Fine" I mutter, my shoulders slumping.

"If you wait an hour, he'll be done by then"

"Yeah I'll do that" I say, enthusiastically 

I take a seat by a big glass window overlooking the city. I wait.

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

After ten minutes, Nancy finally goes to the bathroom. I swing my eyes around the room and attached corridors making sure nobody is close enough to know I'm doing something I shouldn't. I see a janitor watering the plants down the left corridor and I see a client sitting outside a room waiting to be left in on the right. My only problem is the janitor, if I get caught looking at this computer, I could get in quite a lot of trouble, something to do with client confidentiality or something like that. Fuck it, you only live once.

I walk up to her desk casually and take a seat in the warm chair. I observe the screen in front of me. There's a list of names and times beside them, I see Diego's slot is taken up by someone called 'Mike Carlson'. I click the call button beside his name and pick up the black telephone on the desk, anxious looking around as the phone dials.