Chapter 14

Have you ever wondered what life is like just before you lose it? Have you ever wondered what you would see just before you kick the bucket? Have you ever wondered what you'd say, the apologies you'd make, or even the stories you'd tell? Well here is my story. To anyone who finds this tape. I want you to know I don't regret my actions, I don't regret meeting any of the avengers... My only regret is not telling the man I love how much he meant to me. The world is a sick messed up place. Genius kills, and right now it's killing me. A genius built me, I see its only fitting that another one is to put me down. I just hope... No I pray that my brother has found what I sent him to look for. Its the only way I can survive this. The only way I will get to see the man I love again. My future, my everything, it all relies on my brother.

---

After the battle

---

I lay in an empty field with a metal shard through my stomach. As I lay there I watched my lives flash before my eyes. I watched the car accident, and the entire time the song burning house was playing in my head. It wouldn't go away so I started to sing:

I've been sleepwalking
Been wandering all night
Trying to take what's lost and broken
Make it right
I've been sleepwalking
Too close to the fire
But it's the only place that I can hold you tight
In this burning house

I could hear my name got called. As Steve got to me I started to sing, "Love isn't all that it seems I did you wrong."

I'll stay here with you until this dream is gone." He picked me up and started running back to the Quinn jet. Once we boarded Steve set me on a gurney then said, "Hang in there. I cant lose you. Please hang in there Lily." I slowly moved my arm to place my hand on his face, "re-remember your promise..."

---
Walker Labs
---

James ran to the computer and punched in a few keys to gain access to Lily's network, "ready for down load. Beginning in three..."

---
On Quinn Jet
---

Lily placed her arm back on the table then looked out the window above her and said, "Let me go James. It's time to let me go," tears started to fall again as lily coughed up blood, "please let me go."

James said, "i cant, you are the only family I have left. Please. You have to let me save you." Lily closed her eyes, "Then save me. Just, let me remember. Let me remember Steve. I... I lo-" James had started the transfer of Lily's consciousness into a new body. It was the only way to save her.

---
Walker Labs
---

James turned to find Adam standing behind him, "what are you doing here?" Adam looked worried, "Resister is headed this way. Adam... We have to protect her." Adam turned to the computer and activated the defenses for the lab, "that should hold him long enough. We need," James was interrupted when the building started to shake, "no." Adam walked over to the chamber where lily's new body was, "what happens if this process is not completed?" James opened the floor boards for the pool, "she loses her memories and there is no way to get them back. We have to hold off resister till the transfer is completed." Adam nodded his head then started to use his powers to strengthen the walls in the room.

---
James's POV
---

Unfortunately, luck ran out and the debris from the collapsing roof fell onto the machine and interrupted the transfer. I didn't know how savvier it was until my sister asked me if the letter of acceptance for the scholarship program had come in. She had lost almost 4 months of her life because I couldn't protect her. She's my sister and I couldn't protect her. I failed.