Chapter 4 - The Air Raid

2 weeks later...

John POV

September 29, 1914

It has been 2 weeks since we've arrived at base for basic training. Before the war my grandfather, who was a soldier back in the Galar-Paldean War, said that basic training will take 3 months, but it I guess it has shorten since they're in dire need of troops being sent to the frontlines. Anyways, I have gotten better at combat, and did well using a rifle. My Scorbunny, Torch, has gotten stronger as well but he hasn't evolved yet unlike Thomas and Henry who's pokemon have evolved. Tomorrow, we will be sent to Kalos to fight the Johto Army. I am a bit nervous but also excited. I could die, but at least it's for a good cause.

I stopped writing and put my journal in my pouch, then I stand up and walk to my friends with their pokemon playing trading cards with the other privates. There I also see Thomas having a mental breakdown.

John: "Hey, what happened to Thomas?"

I whispered to one of the privates named Luke.

Luke: "Mate lost to Pat, who had a horrible deck and Arceus on his side.

I laugh and watch the scene.

Thomas: "H-how could I lose to a horrible deck?!"

Pat: "Well you shouldn't have underestimated me. Now pay up!"

Thomas grumbles and hands him 15 poke dollars.

Thomas: "I should've won that..."

His Thwackey pats his back, trying to comfort him.

Henry: "Cheer up, Thomas! It won't matter since we'll be fighting in Kalos. You'll get even more money once we get discharged."

Thomas: "I guess..."

A random private then enters the barracks.

Random Private: "Hey, you guys! Drill Sergeant needs us at the field in fifteen minutes!"

We all quickly put the cards away and properly fix/prepare our uniforms, webbing, belt for our pokeballs, and Lee-Enfield rifles. After that, we head to the field and form our usual line formation. After a few minutes, the Drill Sergeant arrives with his intimidating Urshifu.

DS: "Attention! Order arms!"

We stand in attention, and place the rifle butt stock against the floor.

The Drill Sergeant walks in the center in front of the line and smiles, which is kind of rare to see from him.

Drill Sergeant: "Alright, ladies and gentlemen! I am proud to say that every one of you are now soldiers. I am very proud of what you all become. Tomorrow you will be sent to Kalos and fight the Johto scumbags. I wish you, and your pokemon good luck. You are all dismissed!"

The Drill Sergeant and his Urshifu walks away, and we all ease down. I release Torch from his pokeball and pet him on the head.

John: "You heard that from your poke ball right, Torch? We're gonna go to Kalos tomorrow!'

Torch smiles and jumps around.

Torch: "Scorbunny! Scor!"

I smile, then I turn around and see Henry with his Sirfetch'd out of its pokeball approach me.

Henry: "Hey, John, me and the others are going to the mess hall to eat, wanna come?"

John: "Sure thing."

Henry: "Alright, let's go, they're probably on the way there."

John: "Right."