II. "Did you get the deal?"

Mishka Rajput

"Mrs. Rajput, you can go in now." My husband's assistant informed me, and I looked up at the petite woman who was standing before me with a clipboard in her hand.

"Thank you, Mahi." I stood up from the plush couch in the waiting room of my husband's office and went to his cabin at the far corner.

Dhruv and I had married each other 3 years ago for a business deal. This marriage would remain a deal, and I had understood this well enough, so I didn't bother to romanticize about us ever being together. But I couldn't help fantasizing about the love marriages usually offer.

Some people were just not born for that, I guess.

"Come in." I hadn't even noticed that I had knocked on his office door and was waiting outside.

"Good morning, Mrs. Rajput." His deep, baritone voice filled my ears.

"Ms. Rameshwaram." I corrected him, my South Indian lilt evident in my voice.

I was originally from Tamil Nadu and had lived there until I was 13, after which my father decided to shift us to Delhi. So, I had never altogether lost my South Indian accent, even though it had considerably been reduced as time passed. 

My father had raised me to be the independent and strong woman that I was, and I was extremely grateful to him for that. My mother— well let's just not talk about that. That was a sore subject for me.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of meeting you, Ms. Rameshwaram?" Even though his voice didn't give any emotions away, I knew that he was mocking me.

"I came here for business, Mr. Rajput, and would like if you keep things strictly professional." I straightened up my blazer and smoothed down my black hair before taking a seat on the revolving chair in front of him.

"Oh, I would love to do business with my ex-employee." His sarcasm lidded voice reverberated in my ear, and as much tempted as I was to make a smartass comeback, I kept my mouth shut because I needed this deal.

I used to work for him, but I quit as soon as my father fixed a marriage alliance for us. I didn't want to be the topic of office gossip, you see. And, besides, I had dreamt of opening my own office ever since I was a kid, so I stood up on my own two feet— with the help of my dear father— and opened up an office for interior designing as soon as I got an opportunity.

"Mr. Rajput, I have heard recently that your office back in Mumbai needs renovation and—"

"I don't think I have ever mentioned this to anyone. How do you know that then, Ms. Rameshwaram?"

"Well, I have my sources and—"

"As far as I know, the only sources you have are the four people who work for you." His taunt made me clench my fists, but I took a deep breath before continuing.

"Moving on, I would appreciate it if you hire us to work for your inn and make it as new as it was before."

"And why do you think I would like to take up this deal with a company as small as yours?"

"Because even though we don't have many people working in our company, we have an efficient team and we would make sure that your hotel matches up to your standards."

"So you want me to sign up a deal with you just because you are my wife?" This man! Didn't he hear what I just said? I just rambled about the efficiency of my team. I never even mentioned us being husband and wife.

I swear if I hadn't needed this dumbass right now, I would have thrown a cup of hot coffee on his face.

"No, Mr.—"