Chapter 2. Keepsake

“Why can’t you not provoke them?”

Amaryllis pulled her letter from her pocket and held it up in front of her when Harry shut the door.

His eyes widened, glancing back to the door he shut and stepped forward. “They didn’t see it?”

Amaryllis snorted. “Of course not. Dudley was paying too much attention to you that I shoved it in my pocket before they noticed. Whatever it is, they think only you got one. They were the same right?”

“Yeah. Just our names were differently.”

“I’d hope so.” Amaryllis turned the letter over, being able to read her name before everything jumbled into a mess. Her eyes glared at the envelope, willing the letters to stop, but they didn’t answer. They never did.

Harry’s voice came out careful and soft. “Want me to read it?”

She couldn’t get mad at him. He knew how tough it was on her and how angry it made her. To feel incapable to not do something as simple as read even a sentence herself without a struggle.

“That’s odd.”

Amaryllis tried to see what he saw but nothing popped up besides the words. “What is?”

“It says our address, but also says what room we sleep in.”

“That’s creepy. Maybe we should throw it out instead.”

She hated to admit it, but maybe Uncle Vernon was right for one.

The thought instantly wanted her to puke up the little she ate a few minutes ago. “Scratch that. Open it.”

Harry gave her a dubious look before he opened the letter. The contents he pulled out appeared older and more brittle than the paper she used for school. The edges were slightly frayed and darker than the rest, giving the feeling it would crumble in Harry’s fingers if he pressed any harder.

Impatient, Amaryllis couldn’t help the excitement that overpowered the cautiousness that had previously coursed through her. “Whats it say?”

“It says… that we, well you, have been accepted into a school. But…”

“But what?”

“It says your a witch, Amaryllis. And if this is the same kind of letter I got, we both were accepted. What does this even mean?”

“A witch? Don’t be ridiculous, Harry. Don’t tell me you can’t even read now?”

Harry glared at her. “I’m not joking, Lissie. It’s obviously a fake letter. Maybe even Dudley put someone up to it.”

Amaryllis’s lips curved into a smile. “So, it wouldn’t hurt to respond to it, right?”

The fact Dudley hadn’t outed that she had a letter didn’t matter. Maybe he wanted her to get punished for keeping something they shouldn’t have, but she’d have the last laugh if she had anything to say about it.

“Lissie. You could get into a lot of trouble for whatever your thinking.”

“As if we don’t already. What’s the rest say?”

“It gives a list of school supplies for classes I’ve never heard of.”

Amaryllis nodded. “Makes sense. Dudley would never be able to make up something like that. He’s got what, one friend that’s smart enough to pull it off?”

“Are you sure about this?”

“Oh, yes, Harry.” Amaryllis giggled as she hopped one spot to the drawer at their nightstand and pulled out a piece of paper and pen. She held them out to Harry with a smile.