Chapter 3. Empathy

Sunday rolled around sooner than Amaryllis wanted, but it also meant Monday was a day closer. And she anticipated to send the letter sitting up in their nightstand drawer out sooner than later. Though, getting it past Uncle Vernon would be a task in itself.

“Good morning, Aunt Petunia.” She internally cringed buttering up to their Aunt. It was better than having them watch her like a hawk. It was a given when it became Dudley’s birthday. Today was different than most. Aunt Petunia had decided to bring him to the Zoo, which meant, against their wishes, they had to tag along. And the Zoo meant an aquarium. Albeit, small, but it was better than nothing. She could stand in front of the glass and watch the sea creatures swim around all day. She felt as if they listened half the time when she talked, though that was something else she probably made up.

“Morning.”

That was the only response she received.

She quickly grabbed a few pieces of bacon and headed to the table as Dudley seemed to make a fuss over the stack of presents in the living room. Uncle Vernon seemed to be trying to calm him down and tell him how some were bigger than the others, but as she guessed… it did nothing.

Dudley was not having it.

Spoiled little pig.

Amaryllis watched it unfold as she nibbled on her bacon. Harry sat down next to her to eat before their Aunt and Uncle caught on. They were given food, yes, but barely enough to sustain their selves. She was surprised she didn’t look like a twig at that point.

“Dudley, dear,” her Aunt spoke up, coming to Dudley’s side. “We’ll get you something when we go out to make up for it. How is that?”

“You better,” Dudley stomped, crossing his arms. “I had forty-nine last year. I should have fifty this year. It doesn’t matter how big they are.”

You’re right. It’s a matter of how hard they fall. And hopefully it’s all on you. Amaryllis couldn’t help the distaste for her cousin. He was a self-righteous prick that only became more self-centered as they coddled him over the years.

“Ow.” Amaryllis glared at Harry who had pinched her side. His gaze was trained in front of them, complete ignoring her and the action he had just done. She opened her mouth to tell him off, but was stopped when his eyes narrowed at her and flicked in the direction of the living room.

Her gaze turned to meet Uncle Vernon’s glare that was pointed at them. If his face wasn’t rounded with fat and rolled like the play-dough she stole from Dudley when they were little, she might have just recoiled from the hatred in his eyes.

Amaryllis said nothing and kept her face blank until his glare diminished, setting his newspaper down with a sigh.

“Dudley, why don’t you get ready and we can head out?”

Their cousin pointed a pudgy finger in their direction. “Are they comin’ with, father?”

Another heated glare pointed in their direction, yet Amaryllis did nothing because to get banned from going over even a twitch would meant she couldn’t see the sea creatures. “They will, as long as they keep their mouths shut and don’t speak to anyone. Think you can do that?”

Harry piped up monotony. “Yes, Uncle Vernon.”

“Of course.” Amaryllis could have stopped herself there, but her mouth kept spewing words. “It is ever gracious to be in your presence.”

“Keep it up, girl, and you’ll be the only one staying behind and grounded to that room for a week.”

Resisting the urge to roll her eyes had never been harder in that moment. What was a few more hours in that room than they already spent in it? It wasn’t much of a punishment when they were already confined there.