Chapter 16. Library and an annoyance

Amaryllis felt normal by Saturday morning. Besides the scar that ran down her arm, she had felt nothing out of sorts.

Convincing everyone else of that was harder.

Harry had thought she should rest as Madam Pomfrey said for the whole weekend, but she still got Susan to go over the notes she had taken, much against Harry’s wishes. However, Hermione approved as she at least took her classes seriously.

“The library? Are you mad?”

Amaryllis rolled her eyes. “No one said you two have to follow. I know you both hate the library.”

“Really?”

“But—”

“Harry, do you really want to sit in the library while they read?”

Amaryllis wasn’t sure what Ron’s face was supposed to mean, but he glanced between them all as if they had just grown a third head. She saw the hesitation in her brother’s eyes and knew he didn’t want to go, but he also seemed to dislike the idea of letting her out of his sight for the time being. “Harry, go. We’ll be fine. Susan and Hermione will be with me. I want to make sure I have everything I missed in my classes before we start again tomorrow.”

Harry seemed reluctant but gave in when she reassured him further.

She was fine. She hadn’t lied about that, but her intent to go to the library… that was half a lie. She had some hunches she wanted to look into after she confirmed she hadn’t dreamt of that man. However, she kept that to herself. It was unheard of for someone to get into Hogwarts and leave unnoticed, but there was something that told her she shouldn’t say anything; so she didn’t. She kept what that man had said to herself and would try to find anything she could about any other wizards or witches being hit by lightning.

Hermione had begun talking about books the second they got to the library. Susan and she exchanged glances before shaking their head, chuckling.

Amaryllis and Susan went to the section she had wanted to check out; history. Which didn’t turn out too well, as there were countless books stacked on the shelves that ranged from every part of history down to family lineage. Susan had told her how proud most families were of their blood lineage and that it was normal in the Wizarding World for books to be in the school. It was part of the history and those who had gone to Hogwarts before them.

By the time they made it to the table Hermione was sitting at, with another stack of books beside her, they had a table full of books they couldn’t possibly get through. The rest, Amaryllis decided to check out and read through the week if she had the time.

“What does this even say?”

Susan leaned over to read what Amaryllis had tried to do for the past ten minutes and failed. “Why are you looking into the spells around the grounds?”

“I was…” Amaryllis glanced down at her hand, wondering what she should tell them without giving away the man who visited her.

“I’m not sure there’s any kind of spell that prevents what happened, Rhylie. If there is, I’m sure Dumbledore would have put something up after this.”

“What about something Dumbledore doesn’t know?”

“Rhylie, Dumbledore is the most powerful wizard in our time. There wouldn’t be a lot that could get past him.”

“What if it was someone more powerful than Dumbledore?”

Susan glanced at Hermione before turning her attention back to her. “Are you asking if you-know-who had something to do with this? Your brother defeated him, remember?”