Chapter 4. Magic? Or coincidence?

Amaryllis didn’t stick around the aquarium much longer. As much as she wanted to, it physically hurt to know she disappointed a creature she adored. No matter how much she talked to it, it never answered, and the barrier between them was a solid reminder of where her reality was. Behind the glass, and stuck in an everlasting loop of an everyday life that sucked the life happiness from their life. She wanted to break free from that but didn’t know how.

Amaryllis followed Harry as they made their way back to the section that housed reptiles.

Against their luck, she noticed Dudley and their Aunt and Uncle not far down.

Dudley stood in front of a large glass window, yelling at something to move. She didn’t blame whatever it was for ignoring their cousin. She would have too. No one deserved to be shouted at like that.

Harry glanced at all the reptiles along the way, though he didn’t stick around them as long as she had with the sea creatures. He loved to eye them, watch them relax, and bathe in the heat that most needed to survive. It made Amaryllis wonder if he loved to watch them because he had taken the older brother role on too much that it felt like a burden at times.

“Stupid reptile. Move,” Dudley shouted once again.

Amaryllis cringed, knowing many looked his way with disdain and was glad they were not forced to follow them around. It was embarrassing enough to even be related to them, let alone have everyone else know it.

“Useless thing that is.” Dudley pounded the glass one last time and walked away, meeting up with his parents. Their Aunt rubbed his back and comforted his anger.

Whatever soft words she had spoken fell on deaf ears as they were too far away to hear, but it mattered not as she and Harry made their way to the large glass Dudley had occupied.

Amaryllis watched them walk away as Harry spoke to whatever was in there. Just as she had done with the dolphins and fish.

“Ignore him. He’s a right prick with no manners.”

Amaryllis turned to the glass, finding at least a ten-foot snake curled, half hanging on a branch that hung halfway across its habitat. Its head lazily hung downward but glanced up as Harry spoke.

“You just want to relax, don’t you? You don’t have to move for anyone if you don’t want to. You’re already stuck behind this glass.”

Amaryllis was surprised when it raised its head, sticking its tongue out and hissing in response. Her head turned to stare at Harry, finding a small smile appear on his face.

“Har—”

A shove from the side cut her off, pushing her into Harry, and knocking them both to the ground.

“It moved.”

Amaryllis groaned along with her brother at the sound of their cousin’s voice. She pushed herself up off the ground and held out a hand for her brother.

Harry grasped her hand, hoisting himself up, and let go as he stared at her. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, you?”

“I’m alright,” Harry responded, brushing whatever dust he got off himself.

“Mom. Dad. Look, the snake moved.”

Amaryllis glared at their cousin. Oh, how she wished he could receive the slightest humiliation she and Harry had gotten over the years. A tug formed in her gut, tightening the longer her anger flowed through her. A feeling she hadn’t felt before but didn’t push against, but pulled at. One moment the glass Dudley leaned on was there, and the next, it was gone. The most surprising part was when Dudley fell into the water below the snake and splashed around in the water which seemed to hold him down.