The Tattoo

ADRIEN

"Shit!"

"What the hell did you give her?" I asked the dickhead I was holding by the collar.

I could see the terror in his eyes.

"Answer me!" I shouted, cursing the day I'd ever met my stepsister, cursing that moron Blaise Martin for bringing her to a party like this.

"Jesus, dude!" The guy's eyes were like saucers.

"Burundanga, okay!" he admitted when I slammed him into the wall.

Jesus. A date rape drug. It was colorless and odorless and easy to slip into a drink without a person realizing it.

Just thinking about what could have happened clouded my mind, and I couldn't control myself.

What kind of dirtbag would do that to a girl? When I finished with him, you wouldn't be able to identify him from his license photo.

My hands were going to look like hamburger by the time the night was over.

I lost count of how many times I hit him.

"Adrien, stop!" a voice behind me shouted.

I stopped my hand before it slammed back into that bastard's face.

"Bring that shit to another one of my parties and this is going to look compassionate compared to what happens next time," I threatened him, making sure he'd heard every word.

"Understand?"

He stumbled off, bleeding, trying to get as far from me as possible, and I turned back around to find Marinette terrified.

Something shifted inside me when I saw her expression. I couldn't stand her, I could happily have wrung her neck, but, dammit, no one deserved to be drugged without their consent. By the look on her face, I could tell this night had taken Marinette past her limits.

I tried to talk myself down, observing her as I walked over slowly. When I was close, she started walking backward, mouth ajar, frighted and trembling.

"Jesus, Marinette, I'm not going to hurt you, okay?" I said. I felt like a criminal, and I hadn't even done anything.

When I left her, I just assumed she'd call her mom and she and my dad would pick her up and take her back home. I never thought she'd climb into the car of the first idiot who came along and show up at a party absolutely unsuited to a girl her age.

"What did he give me?" she asked, looking at me like I was a demon.

I sighed and looked up, trying to put my thoughts in order. My father had just called to ask where the hell Marinette was. Her mother was worried, so I said I'd call her right back. I told him Marinette was with me, at Miles's house, and we were watching a movie with his sister.

It was a lie, made up on the spot, but my father could never know what had happened tonight or where. I'd gotten out of too many bad situations for him to learn that nothing had actually changed. It had been hard for me to keep my private life under wraps, and I sure wasn't going to let someone like Marinette spoil it.

It hadn't even been a day, and she'd managed to be a bigger pain in my ass than any woman I'd ever had the pleasure of meeting.

"You all right?" I asked, ignoring her question.

"I want to kill you," she answered. I could see her eyelids were drooping. I needed to get her on the phone with her mom ASAP before the situation got worse.

"Yeah, let's take a rain check on that," I said, grabbing her arm. "You'll be all right. Try to relax."

When we reached my car, I opened the passenger-side door and waited for her to sit down. Then I took out my phone.