The Unwanted

ADRIEN

I thought I was going to explode just then.

Each of my nerve endings had awakened with a burning, unsettling intensity. My anger grew as I walked over to my friends.

Why the hell had I kissed her?

Why had I entered her game?

Since when did I let a girl get me so hot without me taking the reins?

The answer to all these questions had nine letters:

Marinette.

Since I'd seen her tonight, I hadn't been able to get her out of my head. I didn't know if it was the attraction of the forbidden, since she was my stepsister, or if I needed somehow to feel I could control her, put out that fire that kept shooting out of her mouth and make her act like all the other women I'd known and managed to control.

But Marinette was completely different from all of them.

She didn't throw herself at my feet, she didn't get weak in the knees when she looked at me, she didn't back down when I challenged her, no—she'd answer back, and her reactions were fiercer than mine.

It was exasperating...and exciting at the same time.

Mentally, I couldn't stop telling myself that she was an unbearable, whiny little bitch, that I should ignore her, but my body was betraying me, and I didn't know what the hell to do. I'd kissed her. I'd offered to do it not because I gave a damn about her getting revenge on her ex-boyfriend or wanted her out of the party; it was just pure desire. I wanted to taste her, to feel her. As soon as I saw her that night, I wanted to get between her legs and make her mine. It was uncomfortable, hellishly uncomfortable, and frustrating, especially since I couldn't stand her.

Why did she have to be so goddamn attractive?

Her shorts left most of her long legs free to excite me.

She was daring any man to reach out and touch them, to kiss her. Her hair drove me wild, especially when she let it down to frame her face, which was flushed from the alcohol. But more exciting still were her lips: soft as velvet and sharp as steel when she wanted to say something wounding. She'd driven me crazy when she'd opened her mouth, when her tongue had interwoven with mine without shame, without hesitation. It was nothing like any other girl I'd kissed before. She'd followed my rhythm, let me take control, and I'd bitten her lip from pure carnal desire because I'd wanted to consume her but also let her know who was in charge.

"That's it?" she'd asked me, cheeks flushed, eyes bright with longing.

What the fuck did she want me to do, though?

If she wasn't who she was, I'd have taken her straight to the back seat of my car. If she wasn't so damn hard to put up with, I'd have given her the best night of her life. If she wasn't...if she wasn't turning my whole world upside down...

"Dude, where were you? The first race is about to begin!" Nino shouted from the place where he'd parked my black Ferrari next to my enemy's souped-up Audi.

That was exactly what I needed. Discharging all that built-up tension at 170 miles per hour down a sand track in the middle of the night and leaving one of the losers from Raoul's gang in the dust. I needed to blow off steam, feel the adrenaline—adrenaline was better than desire, better than knowing that I wouldn't have the one thing I really wanted that night...

"Tell Chase I've got this one," I said, walking over to the car. My friends were waiting for me, having fun before the flag came down, drinking, dancing, in a good mood because they assumed we'd take the night's prize money.