Prologue

In the heart of New York City, Lesly Anderson's life was a whirlwind of mysteries. Her world changed forever when she met a captivating and mysterious man in a cemetery. They bonded over the man's ability to speak to the dead. Lesly quickly grew attached to the man and was enamored by him. Their connection grew, and their daughter, Mara Anderson, came into the world, resembling her godly father with jet black hair and striking eyes as dark as obsidian.

Unbeknownst to Lesly, her great and true love was Hades, the King of the Underworld. His revelation shattered Lesly when he vanished, leaving her heartbroken, lost in a world where her memories of him were the only solace.

Struggling to cope, Lesly turned to drugs and alcohol, hoping to bridge the chasm between her and Hades. His face haunted her through Mara, a constant reminder of her lost love, sparking resentment and anger within Lesly.

To protect her daughter, Hades erased Lesly's memories of him, sparing Mara from the complexities of her godly lineage. He played a hidden role in Mara's life, shielding her from unwanted attention from anyone who dared to go against her while Lesly struggled with addiction.

Mara grew amidst a life filled with inexplicable occurrences. She heard and saw things beyond reason, like conversing with her deceased grandfather. But these events were dismissed as figments of her imagination. Ever since then, she has had an obsession with the afterlife and death.

Lesly's battles with addiction and health issues overshadowed Mara's childhood. The young girl became her mother's caregiver, learning little about her father, except for their similar appearance—an image etched in Lesly's fading memories of love.

On Mara's 13th birthday, she helped her tired mother, Lesly, settle into bed. Lesly had just returned from an N.A. meeting and a short shift at the nearby deli.

"Have you taken your pill?" Mara asked, watching her mother lying on the bed with closed eyes.

"Not yet, sweetheart," Lesly replied, prompting a sigh from Mara. "I'm sorry... I keep forgetting."

"You can't forget, Mom," Mara insisted, pulling out the pills and a bottle of water. "You were supposed to take these after lunch."

She handed the cup to her mother, gently encouraging her to drink. Lesly offered a thin smile, expressing gratitude for her daughter's care.

"What would I do without you?"

Mara stood up, murmuring under her breath, "Probably die..."

"What did you say?" Lesly inquired.

"Nothing," Mara responded curtly, placing the glass on the nightstand. "Try to rest, Mom. Maybe some sleep will help you remember to take  your medication."

As Lesly dozed off, Mara tidied the room, ensuring her mother was comfortable. It felt routine—looking after her mother, managing the household, while suppressing unspoken thoughts that lingered.

Alone in her room, Mara found solace in the darkness and silence, occasionally glimpsing unusual sights through her window—lights from the Empire State Building, weird creatures, and peculiar figures. Things no one else seemed to notice.