You Are A Mystery

"I think I heard my father," Mara repeats to Chiron who stood before her and Dionysus beside him.

"What did he say?" Chiron asks as he steps forward, his large legs casting a shadow on her.

"He told me not to worry about my mother," Mara muttered as she glanced over at Declan, "That, she was-was safe with him and loved..."

"With him?" Dionysus asked, "Was she kidnapped? I thought she passed."

"She did, as far as I know," Mara admitted, "I saw her that day on the bed.."

"Perhaps whoever your father is has spoken to your mother recently?" Declan suggests.

"But then that would mean that..." His voice lowers and Mara looks up at him.

"That would mean what?" Mara asks as she rocks back and forth on the balls of her feet impatiently.

Chiron observes Mara's face one last time, confirming something in his head and he turns to Declan. The red-haired satyr sees the concerned look on Chiron's face and struggles to understand what he is trying to say.

Mara feels another presence watching her and peers over at the window, squinting her eyes at the sill. She sees the subtle outline of a person quickly move from the window.

It looked as if they were transparent. 

"Mr. Tinwood, see to it that Ms. Anderson finds a more comfortable spot in Cabin #11...." Chiron says and Declan looks between him and Mara. That is not at all what he thought he was going to say. He thought the centaur was going to tell her something.

"Uh...okay," Declan mutters as he drags Mara along who is confused. He awkwardly gestures to the door, "Let's go I guess."

Chiron watches them go, closing his eyes as he tries to think.

Dionysus scoffs, "Her dad contacted her and you offered her better housing? What is going on?"

Chiron waves his hand at him, "Don't you see what she is?" Dionysus shrugs his shoulders, "The Demigod of complaints and whining?"

"I heard that!" Mara shouts from the outside and Dionysus rolls his eyes. "I really don't like that kid..."

Chiron ignores him and paces the room, his hooves stomping on the floor. "She looks awfully familiar to a god history does not remember well," Chiron says and Dionysus raises his brows.

"You mean...like my uncle?" Dionysus asks and Chiron gives him a firm nod.

"We will have to wait at least a day to see if he claims her..." Chiron sighs as he looks outside the window, "She has no idea how dangerous this will be..."

"Is something wrong?" Mara asks as Declan escorts her back to Cabin #11. She keeps lookin back to the director's cabin but was pushed forward.

"Nothing's wrong..." Declan reassured her, as they made it inside the cabin, "Let's just ask Luke for a better spot in the cabin."

"You're keeping something from me," Mara said as she pulled her arm away from him. Declan sighed, "I am not."

"You are!" Mara exclaimed, catching the attention of some campers. "What aren't you and Chiron telling me?"

"I don't know anything, Mara," Declan tells her truthfully. And of course,  she doesn't believe him.

"You are hiding something from me..." Mara insists, "Chiron knows something and he's keeping it from me and so are you." He stops and peers over at her.