Arguing with a God

The new camper took a well-needed nap and everyone around her came up with their own theories as to who her father could be.

Mara did not bother to socialize with anyone in Cabin 11. Even if she really wanted to, everyone felt that she was too gloomy and brought the energy of the room down.

As Mara left the cabin, the sun seemed to shine through the windows again and everyone felt refreshed. She met Declan outside of the cabin and he handed her an orange t-shirt, the one everyone else seemed to be wearing.

"Do I have to wear this?" Mara asked as she lifted the shirt in the air and got a look at the words.

"Come on, it's not that bad," Declan said as they walked through a small paved path down to a large cabin.

Mara traced her fingers over the letters, "I can read the words..." Declan peered over at her, a smile curling on his lips.

"It's like watching a kinder-gardener learning to read," Declan joked as she whacked the side of his head with the t-shirt.

Mara rolled her eyes, "I can't believe I'm stuck with the camp's official uniform." Declan chuckled, "Hey, it's all part of the experience." 

They reached the large cabin and Declan opened the door for Mara and she stepped inside.

Mara had been looking down but as she lifted her head, the figure in front of her only got taller. Her eyes widened as she was looking at the face of a centaur.

Declan gave her a slight shove and she awkwardly cleared her throat. The centaur quirked a brow at her and she shifted her weight.

"I am sorry. I don't mean to stare but," She gives him a once over again, "But I am totally staring again." The centaur gave her a hearty laugh.

"Okay," Declan grabbed her shoulders and walked her to the center of the room, "Chiron, sir, this is Mara Anderson. I found her on the streets of Hell's Kitchen when I was on my way back to Yancy Academy."

"Yancy Academy?" Mara asks and Chiron turns to Declan.

"You don't need to go back there anymore, Mr. Declan. Grover has informed me that he has the situation handled," Chiron said and Declan nodded.

"I am sorry but I just want to know why I am here," Mara told them as she stands with the orange t-shirt balled up and wrinkled in her hands.

"I assume Declan gave you the quick rundown," Chiron muttered as he stepped forward, "You are here because you have the blood of the gods running through your veins. Your father, was it?"

Mara looks down, "Yeah, uh, I don't think my mom was a goddess."

"Tell me what your mother was like," Chiron requests as he gestures for her to take a seat. Mara laughed and took a seat on the chair, "Which part would you like to know first: the endless drug addiction or the child negligence?"

Chiron gives her a solemn look, "I am deeply sorry for the life that you have lived, Ms. Anderson. But you are safe now. You will be well cared for. We are all like family here."

A family? She never knew what that was like. Chiron seems to read her thoughts and speaks again.

"I understand your upbringing was rough, but this is a new chapter for you and the start of a new life. Let us help you."

Mara sighs as she eyes the t-shirt.

"Can I get this in a different color?" Mara asks, a slight chuckle escaping her. Chiron smiles widely as he grabs the shirt and eyes her.

He observes her obsidian color hair and eyes so dark, he may have missed the fact that they were blue.

"Don't worry, we'll see what we can do about that," Chiron tells her as he keeps the shirt and places it aside.