Capture the Flag

Mara stood by the Hermes table as Chiron was about to announce tonight's event, Capture the Flag.

"I don't really like this game," Declan says as they wait for everyone to scramble back to the dining pavilion.

"I played this game once during P.E," Mara whispers back, "Except I ended up hitting Peter Evansten where the sun don't shine and got suspended."

"What?" Declan turns to her, "How does that even happen?"

"Let's not get into that," Mara replies as she sees Percy walking back up to the pavilion. Mara leans in to Declan's ear.

"Annabeth's golden boy asked me the strangest thing earlier," Mara begins to say as Declan looks down at her.

"What did he say?"

"He asked me if I could talk to his mother. He seemed pretty impressed with the fact that I could speak to the dead," Mara says, turning to him. "Do you wanna tell me why is it that he knows I can do that?"

Declan wipes his hands on his overalls, sweating.

"I may have blabbed about your abilities to the satyrs," Declan admits and Mara shoves his shoulder.

"You have no right to tell anyone anything," Mara sternly says and Declan pushes his curls out of his face.

"I can't keep secrets," Declan confesses.

"Clearly not," Mara spits back as she turns back to Chiron who was about to speak.

"I'll work on it. I promise," Declan mutters as a few kids come running in with banners over their shoulders and raising them up high.

"Who are we with again?" Mara asks Declan who clears his throat.

"Athena has made an alliance with the Hermes Cabin as well as some others," Declan tells her and Mara quirks a brow at him.

"I am not in the Hermes cabin," Mara reminds him and Declan shrugs.

"You might as well be. There is no cabin for you," Declan tells her and he felt that feeling again. The feeling of dread. And he immediately corrects himself.

"Yet. I mean yet," He says and they look back to Chiron.

The teams were announced. Athena had made an alliance with Apollo and Hermes, the two biggest cabins. Apparently, privileges had been traded —shower times, chore schedules, the best slots for activities—in order to win support.

Ares had allied themselves with everybody else: Dionysus, Demeter, Aphrodite, and Hephaestus.

Chiron hammered his hoof on the marble.
"Heroes!" he announced. "You know the rules. The creek is the boundary line. The entire forest is fair game. All magic items are allowed. The banner must be prominently displayed, and have no more than two guards. Prisoners may be disarmed, but may not be bound or gagged. No killing or maiming is allowed. I will serve as referee and battlefield medic. Arm yourselves!"

He spread his hands, and the tables were suddenly covered with equipment: helmets, bronze swords, spears, oxhide shields coated in metal.

Mara stood by as some of the people around her scattered to grab swords and shields. She simply reached down into the leather scabbard wrapped around her ankle and sighed in satisfaction.

Confirming that her weapon was indeed on her.

"Whoa," Mara heard Percy say. "We're really supposed to use these?"

Luke looked at him as if he were crazy. "Unless you want to get skewered by your friends in cabin five. Here—Chiron thought these would fit. You'll be on border patrol."