prologue

"I'M NOT TOO sure," I hum, eyeing myself in the mirror before turning around

"I'M NOT TOO sure," I hum, eyeing myself in the mirror before turning around. Amethyst's skin-tight top hugs me in all the wrong places. It accentuates my boobs and barely covers the birthmark near my ribs.

"Oh don't be a bore!" Amethyst boos, "It's a nice top for an even nicer girl who is going to score herself a boyfriend."

"A top is not going to be the deciding factor of whether or not Amos wants to date me, Ames."

Amethyst shrugs eyeing me disbelievingly, "Well I disagree, a well-known poet once said 'The only rule is don't be boring and dress cute wherever you go,'"

I feel my brows knit together as I recall where the specific quote comes from, "Paris Hilton isn't a poet, Amethyst."

"That's so conceited, who's to say what anyone is? If I say Paris Hilton is a poet she's a poet," the brunette argues.

"Fine," I relent, "Paris Hilton's a poet, but I'm definitely not wearing this top. What if he thinks it's ugly?"

"Not possible," Amethyst breathes out, "Are you serious? Any straight guy would gladly tell you that you look amazing in that top, Lola."

I sigh, eyeing the top again in the mirror. It's a sleeveless cotton white crop with dark red and black linework and a very suggestive word scripted on the front.

"I don't know, Ames." I know I want to look nice but I also want to resemble myself, but the shirt paired with the short denim skirt and clunky belt is more of a fashion statement than a working piece is just so...Amethyst.

"I—" she suddenly grows quiet, still looking in the mirror I follow her train of gaze.

A mop of brunette hair with a six-foot-something staggering figure meets my eyes in the mirror. I don't turn around.

"I didn't know dad was having you around," Amethyst casually says, pausing whatever it is that's currently playing on her laptop.

Tate shrugs, "Cole wanted help in the garage, something about his daughter saying yes but never doing anything."

"Oh shut it. You love helping as much as I do," it's true, Amethyst does love helping her dad at his mechanic shop but she is also undoubtedly lazy. So it's all a bit contradictory.

Tate doesn't disagree with that and I shift my weight from one foot to the other. Partially waiting for him to leave so my conversation can resume and partially waiting for him to greet me so I don't just stand here awkwardly.

"Hey, Lola," he greets me a second later as if reading my mind. I meet his eyes from the mirror and offer him a casual nod.

And as if something clicks in her head Ames yells: "A male's opinion, finally!" After a second has passed and she realises what she's just said she shudders, "Woah, ignore the enthusiasm."