XI.| The Three Heads of the Dragon

Where the three heads of the dragon did not necessarily refer to three Targaryens and where Aemond gets three dragons for the price of one.

"Calling out father oh
Hold fast and we will
Watch the flames burn auburn on
The mountain side
Desolation comes upon the sky"

-I See Fire; Ed Sheeran

Queen Alicent Hightower held the small hand of a ten year old Aemond Targaryen as she led him to Dragonmont

The prank that Aegon, Lucerys and Jacaerys played on him had been the last straw for the young red-haired queen. She could no longer bear to see her beloved son cry for not having a dragon, for not feeling like a Targaryen even though his silver hair, his amethyst eyes, and his aristocratic features marked him as a Valyrian beauty. Alicent wasn't going to stand for Aemond dtarting to doubt himself.

"It's not fair, Mother. Why only me? Why did none of my eggs hatched? Why am I the only Targaryen without a dragon when Rhaenyra's children have one? I don't want the court, the nobles, or my own family to continue making fun of my lack of a dragon. I'm just a dragon without wings."

"You will have a dragon, Aemond. I promise." Alicent swore.

"It will have the three heads of the dragon." Helaena muttered to the side, being ignored by her two distraught relatives.

Those words struck Alicent deeper than the young woman thought they would. Knowing that her husband did nothing but let her son sink into misery while he protected Rhaenyra from her faults and her bastards. So without hearing a peep, she took Aemond and headed to Dragonmont.

Aemond Targaryen would come out of there with a dragon, yes or yes.

The trip was somewhat long, but once there, in front of the great mountain and with several guards at her side, Alicent let go of Aemond's hand and decided to trust the Targaryen blood that ran through her son's veins. For a moment, she betrayed the Seven and prayed that the gods of Valyria, if they existed, would protect her young son and grant him a dragon.

"Go, Aemond. Spread your wings and claim your dragon." Alicent ordered. With a determined look, Aemond nodded and released his mother's hand and started on his way.

Ever since he arrived at Dragonmont, he had felt something, like he was being pulled in one direction. Aemond could not resist the call, so he ignored everything around him and concentrated on entering that deep, dark cave. If it weren't for his torch, Aemond wouldn't even be able to see his hands in front of him. But the torch gave him light, and that was how he could see that in the middle of the cave, there was a gigantic egg sitting on a black stone. It was the largest dragon egg he had ever seen, he could swear it was as big as his torso. It was also very beautiful, a strong black color with several scales of a beautiful golden color.

Aemond was fascinated. He had seen many dragon eggs. He himself had gone through almost a dozen eggs that never hatched. But the egg in front of him was very different. From its large size, to the scales that were much sharper, in addition to having small spikes coming out of some of them. It was the strangest egg he had ever seen.

That call had brought him to an egg, an egg that would be his alone. An egg from which a great dragon would emerge and of which he would be the first rider. The silver prince's body trembled with excitement. At last no one would make fun of him again or he would feed them to his dragon.

Reverently, Aemond grabbed the egg from below, where the scales were less sharp and where there were not as many spikes. However, although he tried to be careful, the egg was sharper than he thought and he felt like small needles stabbing his small hands, so with a groan he left the egg where he was. He looked at his hands, only to see a small drops of blood. Aemond didn't have time to think because he heard the sound of something fracturing.

His gaze quickly focused on his egg, because he would not miss the birth of his dragon for the world. Little by little, the entire egg fractured and with force, the pieces of the egg flew out, causing Aemond to direct his gaze to the ground and cover his face with his hands. It was when he heard a small growl that he lowered his hands and looked at his dragon.

His eyes widened.

In front of him he did not have a dragon.

He had three .

Well, not exactly. It was a dragon, but there were three small heads that looked at him curiously. Their beautiful crimson eyes shone with a fire that threatened to never go out. They was just as beautiful as the egg, they were a small black dragon with its limbs a beautiful golden color. And not only did they have three heads, but they had two tails with spikes on them.

"What kind of dragon are you?" Because although the Targaryen's shield was three heads of a dragon, no one had never actually heard or see such a dragon. And now, Aemond had a dragon that literally embodied the symbol of his house in his hands.

With a few small roars, the three dragon heads announced their arrival to the world. And Aemond could do nothing but smile.

With somewhat clumsy steps that little by little changed to more confidence, the little dragon approached the prince, who did not hesitate to take him in his arms as if he were a baby.

"You need a name. A unique name for a dragon like you." He whispered to the dragon while he caressed the little heads." Deianeira. Destruction. Nothing less for you, a being capable of great destruction. The Queen of Destruction."

With a smile on his lips, the ten-year-old prince left the cave with his dragon in his arms. He couldn't wait to see the look on his mother's face when she saw that he had a dragon, a very special one.

History was going to remember them.