prologue

-prologue-

______
We miss so many opportunities,
just because we're scared.
Do you ever wonder what could have happened
if only you had been brave enough?
______

It was a beautiful day outside, the sun was shining brightly through the windows and the fresh air was flowing into the small bedroom of Hyunjin's apartment.

Hyunjin was slowly waking up, but he didn't want to start his day yet, so he cuddled back into the blanket and decided to allow himself to sleep a bit more.

But the sun had other plans, as it was blinding him. At first he tried to ignore it, but the light tickled on his skin and he had to close his eyes tightly, but nothing helped.

Sighing, he turned around, accepting that the action would pull him fully out of his sleepy state. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open and he instantly smiled at the sight of his best friend next to him.

Minho's apartment was right next to his own, but they would still often sleep here because Minho said Hyunjin's bed was more comfortable, but Hyunjin was sure, he was only scared of sleeping alone, even if he didn't want to admit that.

"Minho." Hyunjin whispered, but he didn't react. In contrast to his usual, loud side, Hyunjin enjoyed to see Minho like this, so calm. His eyes wandered over Minho's beautiful, sharp features. He couldn't help but stare at his perfect long lashes and his pink, soft looking lips, that were slightly parted.

Hyunjin reached forward to push a strand of Minho's hair out of his face, careful to not wake him up yet. He didn't want to ruin this moment, in which he was able to openly look at Minho's angelic features.

They had been friends for almost as long as Hyunjin could remember. He had been seven years old, when he had met Minho in school, who had been ten at that time. He couldn't even recall when or how they had started talking to each other,  but someday they became friends. Everyone thought it was just a friendship between children, that wouldn't last long, but here they were, eighteen years later and they were still best friends.

"Good morning, Jinnie." Minho yawned, sitting up, only to let himself fall onto Hyunjin again.

"Minho!" The younger screamed out, surprised by the sudden weight on top of himself, but he wrapped his arms around Minho to keep him close.

They relaxed in that position and Minho buried his face in Hyunjin's neck. To him it was just a simple gesture to show his friend affection, but Hyunjin felt more. His skin tingled, his stomach filled with butterflies and his cheeks turned red.

This wasn't normal, Hyunjin knew that. This usually didn't happen, it only started a few weeks ago, when Hyunjin noticed how he felt warm whenever Minho would hug him, or how his heartbeat quickened when their fingers accidentally brushed.

It continued whenever Minho kissed his cheek or when they would cuddle, like they were doing right now. Hyunjin knew that he started to feel more for his best friend than he should and he tried to get rid of that feeling, it was just a stupid crush. He couldn't throw away all of these years of their friendship just because he liked Minho.

But in situations like these, it was getting hard to hide his feelings, so he pushed Minho off of himself and got up. "I'm hungry." He mumbled, watching how Minho got up as well.

"What do you want?" The brunette was on his way to the kitchen already, but he stopped on the way to press a short kiss onto Hyunjin's forehead. It was his way of showing Hyunjin that he loved him, but unfortunately not in the way that Hyunjin wished he would.