17 December, 2023

Dearest Sable,

I know I shouldn't have given into the temptation, but I simply couldn't resist showing off my new gold ink. It's made with real flecks of gold! It is father's Christmas present to me and he was so excited he simply couldn't wait! He also got me two new nibs with which I am writing. I have been encouraging him not to work so much extra than his already taxing hours, bu now it all makes sense. While I wish he weren't so hard on himself, I am extremely grateful for the lavish gifts. Your letter smelled lovely, just like roses; I have been caressing it all night long. I wish I were there to join your adventures into the woods. I have not been so lucky: District 13, as you know, has been forgotten and forbidden, so we must stay hidden. I trust your loyalty more than some other in 13 though, which is why I take the risk of exchanging letter with you. Our visits to the woods are few and far between and continue to grow so. There is some protection here, but sometimes, though I regret saying it, I wonder if it is all worth it if we never get to see the sun. I know father only wants to keep my safe, which is why we escaped here in the first place, but I do so miss you, the warm sunlight, the smell of the flowers, and the chill air. I honestly do not know if it has snowed here, it has been nearly a month since I was outside. The president seems like he means well, but Ravenstill does nothing to cease the progression of the Games. In fact, he encourages it. Besides that, he does not seem tyrannical, he seems as though he cares for our well-being and health, but so much is out of his control and goes unseen that we remain in poverty.

Best Wishes,

Gillenia Zenith