30 January, 2024

Dearest Sable,

What a wonder you save both of your lives! So the avox poisoned the glasses? How wonderful hunting has given you such a sharp eye. Snow certainly fancies you, and will find himself in love quite soon if it has not captured him already. The white of the dress must have been his idea, perhaps it is a symbol of foreshadowing your union. How does the Capitol feel about all of this? For even Snow is being controlled in some regards. I wish I were there to support you in person, but it is simply impossible to get away. I have the biggest news, though it is simple and meagre compared to your events of the past few days. Still...

Cillian kissed me!

I couldn't be more joyous about it, especially since our last letter! He brought me flowers, "to see my smile" he said—and it's a wonder he managed it with the way things are right now. I said, "you only need bring me you and my days are brightened" but this was hardly a testament to love—we say these things all the time. He was looking into my eyes and he didn't respond, so I started to say something else when he kissed me on the lips. But it was so long and intense, like he'd been holding it in forever. I dropped his flowers. Then he stood back and looked at me, gauging my reaction, but I just stared at him with my lips still parted, the silence enveloping us. My favourite thing of this whole interaction is that he didn't break the silence. He let our unspoken words hang there until maybe a minute had passed, of silence and staring, and I stepped over the flowers and I kissed him back. And he put his hands in my hair and on my back and he pulled me closer and neither of us let go, until the lunch bell rang 5 minutes later. I have never kissed anyone before, and it was the most blissful experience. Yesterday (he kissed me a few days ago), he took me to the roof of 13 and we looked out at the river snaking through the trees, and we sat there and talked about everything. And he said that he hopes he can one day show me where he finds his flowers by the riverside and that one day he wants to drink the water from waterfall that can be seen far in the distance. And he said he'll take me there.

Love,

Gillenia

P.S. I hope you like the envelope, Sable. I dyed I from the daffodils Cillian brought me. It turned out more yellow than I expected!