ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 1: ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʜᴏᴘᴘɪɴɢ ᴛʀɪᴘ

Adalyn

"Oh come on Ads, the first semester of senior year is in two days. You need to get new clothes. Y'know that one quote, 'New year, New me' or some shit?" My best friend Justin says as he scrolls through Pinterest on his phone on my bed.

"There is nothing wrong with the clothes I have, and why is it just me who needs new clothes?" I'm answering, looking up from my book on the bed beside him.

He sets his phone down before responding. "Babes, we both know that I'm the one with the better fashion sense between the two of us." He grins slyly knowing he's got me there.

"You should listen to your best friend, Adalyn!" My twin, Anastasia, adds as she passes my room.

"Shut up Ana!" I shout back. She just laughs before entering her room.

"See, even your sister agrees with me."

"Whatever J." I roll my eyes.

"So, are you ready to go back to school shopping?" Justin smiles, and his eyes twinkle with excitement.

"I really don't like when you get that look in your eyes."

"Well, you better get used to it. Now get your butt up, we're going shopping!" Justin jumps off the bed and pulls me up as well.

"Why can't we just stay home?" I whine as I put on my shoes.

"Because you're about to get a hot girl glow up." He grabs his keys and starts heading to the door with me in tow. "Not that you weren't hot before." He winks and soon we're on our way to the mall. The trees and cars pass in a flash as they blend into each other. I close my eyes and lean my hand toward the window as I bathe in the sunlight.

☼          ☼          ☼

"What about this one? It's cute and it will make your eyes pop." Justin is holding up a lavender crop top with flower embroidery all over it.

"It's cute but it'll be short and cleavage." I respond as I look through hoodies.

"That's the point," He deadpans as he adds it into our cart. "You're always hiding behind hoodies."

"Hoodies are comfortable!" I protest as Justin removes the hoodie that I just added.

"This is your senior year, we only have this last grade together before we go to our separate colleges. I want you to have fun, do things out of your comfort zone, like changing your style." He counters as he continues adding tops into the cart before moving onto jeans and shorts.

"Can I at least add 2 hoodies?" I sigh knowing there's no fighting Justin.

"Sure, I don't see why not, but you should also add a cropped hoodie to the cart." He doesn't even bat an eyelash as he keeps searching through the racks of pants.

"You got it, boss." I salute even though he can't see me and then go back to the hoodies section. Aw look at how cute this hoodie is.. I must have it. And I guess I can take this cropped hoodie pullover as well. It's kinda cute not gonna lie.

"Ok Justin, I'm back-" I cut off as I see our cart overflowing with clothes. "Justin! Why are there so many clothes!? I hope you know I'm not gonna wear all that!" I cross my arms in fake irritation.

"Hey, I was just giving you an option. We don't have to buy these, just 75% of them, including the things you just brought." He responds in a defensive voice.

I chuckle, shaking my head at him. "You really are something else."

As I sort through the clothes, Justin lounges on a chair and plays a game on his phone. Thirty minutes later and I have a keep pile and a return pile. "J, I'm done. Let's go pay for these and then go home."

"Alright let's go Addy."

☼          ☼          ☼

"Thank you for taking me shopping. I really appreciate it." I glance over at him in the driver's seat.

"Of course Ads. That's what best friends do. We drag you out of bed and take you shopping when you'd rather stay home because we don't care."

"Alright when we get home, you wanna karaoke?"

"Ads I love you, but your parents hate me in the morning after karaoke night, so I think it's best we do a movie marathon." He laughs.

"They don't hate you,just mildly irritated but fair enough." I laugh and face my window once again.

☼          ☼          ☼

"Oh, come on, J. You've gotta let me carry more than this." I lift the two bags that have one thing in them each.

"Nope, my mother taught me to be a gentleman, so I can't let you carry more than those two." He walks away with all the other bags in my clothes.

"Ugh, you're so annoying." I roll my eyes in fake annoyance as I jog a little to catch up. "How in the world are you walking so fast and you're carrying a lot more bags than me?"

"Well, I have long legs, I'm stronger, and I'm used to it. When you have six sisters who always go shopping and come back with a bajillion clothes, you get used to carrying bags so much." Justin shrugs it off as if it were nothing.

As we reach the front door, Justin steps back to let me open the door with my key. We shout hello to my parents as we pass them in the kitchen and burst into my room.

Together we put all my "grandma clothes" (he said it , not me) and add in the new clothes and it only takes an hour, so a new record for me though probably because Justin did most of the work.

"Now let's start our movie marathon." Justin declares as he jumps onto the bed and grabs the remote for my TV.

"What are we going to watch?" I ask jumping after him.

"No idea. That's why we are going to scan through Netflix until we find something." He turns on the TV and clicks onto Netflix.

"Good idea." I lay down on my stomach as I scroll through all the movies we can watch. We end up watching the entire Princess Switch series and start watching the After series but we start to fall asleep mid-movie. 

"School is almost finished, that means college admissions are coming up." I whisper tiredly to Justin.

"Shh. Worry about that later." Justin mumbles.