A New Discovery

When they entered the bathroom, Layla plopped down on the floor against the side of the bathtub as Steven rummaged through the cabinet under the sink, searching for the medical supplies. "Come on, where are you, you stupid little— oh there you are!" he exclaimed as he pulled out the first aid kit. "Steven, no offense but you should probably let me take it from here," Marc asked him from his reflection in the mirror. "And why exactly would I do that?"

"Let's face it: you can't even look at a drop of blood without passing out, and besides, I've been in a lot more fights than you have, so I have more experience when it comes to dealing with injuries."

Steven took a second to think about this before deciding that Marc was probably right. "All right, fair enough, i suppose", He replied as he let Marc take control of the body.

Layla watched as Marc scooted over to her and began to work on her pinky. When he cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, her whole hand felt like it was on fire, and she winced at the sensation. Without taking his focus away from her hand, Marc placed his other hand on Layla's cheek, partially to keep her still, but also to comfort her. He of all people knew that the recovery after a battle was always the worst, and for Layla's first fight ever? Good gods. "It hurts, baby, I know, but it has to hurt before it gets better", he assured her.

After what had seemed like an eternity, Layla's wound was fixed, now covered with a little bandaid with a scarab on it. "You did so good, just like always." Marc told her as he looked at his wife, and he meant it. It was moments like these that made him remember how much of a fool he was for wanting to divorce her. HER, of all people.

As he reached over to put the bandage wrappings into the trash can, he barely noticed something at the bottom: a small, plastic white stick. "Hey, what's this?" he asked out loud as he pulled it out of the trash can and brought it closer. Layla's eyes grew wide and all of a sudden, she reached out and tried to yank it away from Marc. "Really, Marc, it's nothing, that's why it was in the—" She let herself fall back and let go as she realized that there was no way of getting out of this.

She watched Marc anxiously, her hands shaking slightly, as he held the white plastic tube up closer. His whole body froze as he realized what it was: a pregnancy test with two lines, the second line slightly fainter, but still there nonetheless. "Oh my god, Layla, are you...?" He asked as he looked up, not even having to finish his question as Layla slightly nodded and buried her head in her hands.