Conflicts & Resolutions

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, the words Marc could think of saying were "Layla, I'm sorry, but could I just have a minute in here alone to talk to Steven?"

Layla lifted her head to look at the mirror above the sink, where she knew she knew she couldn't see Steven, but he could see her. "Yeah, sure, take as much time as you need", she replied with a hint of disappointment in her voice. Most people would be jumping for joy when given the news that they would be bringing a child into the world. Then again, Marc wasn't "most people".

She quietly stood up and walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind her and sitting down on the couch, all while wondering what Marc and Steven were saying.

As soon as Marc stood up and faced the mirror, he was immediately greeted by a look of both anger and disbelief from Steven.

"WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? THE LOVE OF OUR LIFE TELLS US SHE'S PREGNANT AND YOUR IMMEDIATE REACTION IS TO JUST SHOO HER OUT OF THE ROOM? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" Steven practically screamed at him, so loudly that even he was surprised that his own voice could be that loud.

Marc frantically paced back and forth, running his hands through his hair. "Steven, it's not that simple. I want to be happy about this, I really do, but what you have to understand is that this is literally my worst nightmare."

"Mate, if your worst nightmare is a child, then I think we've got bigger problems than this" Steven replied annoyed as Marc leaned against the bathroom counter so that he was now face to face with his alter.

"No no, not that. The whole reason why I wanted to separate from Layla was for her safety. So that there wouldn't be even the smallest of chances that Khonshu would choose her to be his next avatar. But if Layla has this baby, now that chance has been doubled."

"But Marc, Layla is already Taweret's avatar, and Khonshu freed us, remember?" Steven reminded him, having calmed down a little bit from the screaming.

"WE may be freed from Khonshu, but there's nothing guaranteeing that he won't go after my— I mean our child." He was still getting used to sharing aspects of his life with Steven, and it felt especially weird now that there was a child involved.

Steven thought carefully about how to phrase what he wanted to say next. "That is a valid point, don't get me wrong, but the kid hasn't even been born yet. Why are we worrying about stuff that we aren't even sure is going to happen? Right now, we've got to focus on the facts: We're alive, Layla's alive, and Layla is carrying our child."

"But Steven, the thing is that me and you, we are not normal. When the kid is born, how in god's name are we supposed to explain us? We can't just be like "Hey kid, I'm your dad, Marc, but you also have another dad whose British and his name is Steven, but technically we're the same person, but we're also not." Marc replied, hoping that his worry was getting through to Steven.

"Marc, don't you get it?", Steven let out with a small laugh, "That's the beauty of this whole thing. Hell, some kids don't even have a dad, but our kids gonna have not one, but two dads, Marc. TWO DADS! That's amazing! Now, if you ask me, you need to drag your sorry arse out there, give our wife a hug, and tell her you love her and are happy for the both of you, and then let me take control of the body so she can see my reaction or so help me gods, I will do it myself."

"MY wife, Steven, MY wife."

"Yeah, Yeah, whatever", Steven replied before quickly disappearing from the mirror, just as Marc stood up and turned the door handle.