CHAPTER THIRTEEN

She's evil .

Giving her husband what he wants only to snatch it away before he can even grasp it, being forced to just stare at it the rest of his life without being able to actually obtain it.

"Are you?" He asks, next, wondering if she's pregnant now, too, only for her to shake her head.

"Not that I know of." She replies softly.

Part of him is amused by her plan, the other part jealous and angry at the idea of her pawing at Dyess.

He wants to know if she arches into Dyess like she does with him.

If she whimpers and curses, if she watches him disappear in and out of her tight cunt, tears streaming down her pretty face as she mumbles about how big he is, how good he feels, how she's all his, while her slick, velvet walls squeeze at him as tight as they can, trying to coax him to cum in her, trying to milk him dry.

"Would it change anything if I was?" She asks him, next.

Would you not want me if I had another man's child ? Is what she really wants to ask him.

She still very much wants Coriolanus, but she can't have him, especially not while Livia is pregnant. She'd feel horrendous for it.

"I'm not touching you ever again." He repeats her words to him, her eyes focusing on his fine leather shoes momentarily. "So, no, it wouldn't change anything, Dr. Crane."

He wants to break that boundary she put up, he wants to grab her hair and turn her around, rip the back of her jumpsuit, push her panties aside and have her.

The way he's looking at her nearly causes her to rub her thighs together, craving any sort of friction she can get, part of her wishing he'd at least appease her at the bare minimum; her mind racing with the image of him between her legs, her ankles locked around him as he's grinding the delicious bulge in his slacks against her aching clothed core until her legs are shaking and she's biting his shoulder to keep quiet.

But here is certainly not the place to do so, not that either of them would want one another, anyway.

So, they just look at one another, until Snow says, "We should get back inside. The ceremony will start soon."

She agrees with a nod and follows him back to the doors.

Once they're back inside, she's finding Dyess who kisses her cheek when she's clasping at his hand, and Coriolanus is slipping his arm around Livia's waist as he plucks a flute of champagne from a passing tray — not bothering to drink any of it.

Every once in a while they catch each other's eye across the large room, but easily avert their gaze and look away.

In another hour, Dr. Gaul is standing on the large staircase that laps around the room, her presence alone shutting everyone up slowly but surely.

Soon silence has spread as they all wait for her to speak.

"Good evening." She greets them, grinning. "I am so gratefully fortunate to be surrounded by such prodigious minds, all gathered here to celebrate a magnificent job well done. It is awe-inspiring and truly humbling, as Head Gamemaker, to see how each of you have impacted the astounding degree of the Twentieth Annual Hunger Games. You have all made me proud. You have all made your country proud. You have all made your President proud." She says to them. "And we are here tonight to not only acknowledge the hard work and dedication of all of you, but two in particular, whose mutated creations were utilized in this year's Games and even won us our victor." She looks at Dyess who tips his flute of drink to her subtlety. "So, if you all will please make your way to the ballroom where we will hear our beloved President Ravinstill speak, and honor those two who have excelled marvelously with their work."