CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Tawny's not entirely sure how exactly it all ensued.

One moment she was trailing after Pias who charged toward Coriolanus with a balled up fist and a twisted mouth, bitterly spewing venom at the young man for embarrassing him so richly in front of the entire nation whilst Albus and Philo attempted to keep the two men separated from one another.

Snow hadn't entertained an altercation until—

"Oh, my!" A harsh gasp is let out by Tigris as everyone falls silent for a split second, not a sound made other than Livia's silent crying as she struggles to catch her breath from the shock, blood pouring down her chin, face nearly turning blue as she sobs without sound.

Tawny's lover's knuckles are adorned in the crimson liquid as the shock falls over his face.

The reality settling in.

Pias Pinnacle just punched Livia Snow so hard it threw her to the ground and knocked some of her teeth out.

The next blink of Tawny's eyes brings chaos into the quiet, a rush of people to check on Livia, a rush of people to get the two men apart as Snow lunges for him.

     TWO HOURS EARLIER

     His eyes crawl up her legs exposed by the tasteful cut of Panem-red fur ending just below her knees, matching the fur trim of the same color that wraps each wrist and her exposed shoulders — the deep color of it a sharp contrast to the snow-white of the rest of the dress.

Even when her smooth skin turns to the fitted fabric, he still traces every curve with his icy stare, knowing what each and every inch of her looks like under the exuberant outfit.

And he does so knowing that she takes notice of it.

He sees her try to hide a smile when her eyes meet his, staying with the group around her of Pias' posse while he's in his own as well, consisting of Philo, Cyrus, and Tigris.

"Gentlemen," A sound engineer that had arrived with Lucky Flickerman approaches between the two separate small crowds, catching Pias and Coriolanus' attention, "These are going to be on in case the stage mics malfunction."

He starts with Pias, putting the small box into his pocket, taking careful measures not to mess up his suit as he gets the mic pinned.

Going to Snow, next, Pias follows him, Tawny's brown eyes widening before following after him, not knowing what he's going to say.

Philo, Tigris, and Cyrus give Snow a moment as his opponent approaches him, the three of them offering Tawny warm smiles before speaking amongst themselves.

"Mr. Snow," Pinnacle extends his hand cordially.

Snow glares down at his hand, the sound engineer tensing and trying to hurry.

"Pinnacle." Coriolanus states passively, not even bothering to throw, "Dr.," into the mix — still relentlessly pissed off that he had voted against his and Tawny's subject to be featured in the Games.

Still pissed that he's now gotten Tawny right where he wants her.

Still pissed that Tawny has let him.

Pias rolls his jaw and retracts his unshaken hand, stating, "I just want you to know, that whatever happens on that stage tonight, you still have my utmost respect."

Snow glances at Tawny before flickering his blue hues back to Pias.

"I can't maintain something I never had to begin with, now can I?" He asks, raising his brows.