Chapter 9 : The Garden Of Reflection

The night wrapped Shizume Village in a blanket of tranquility, but for Kotaru, the darkness brought forth echoes from the depths of his past. As he lay in his quarters, the moonlight filtering through the window, the dream revisited him—an apparition of his mother, a whisper of the past.

In the dream, the memory played out like a haunting melody. The image of his mother, her warm smile, and the laughter that once filled their home were cut short  by the shadows that claimed her in the end. The dream was a relentless echo, a spectral reminder that refused to fade.

Tossing and turning, Kotaru's restless sleep was interrupted by the weight of memories that clawed at his consciousness. The dream, a recurring specter, etched itself into his mind, each night becoming a battleground of emotions.

Matsude, sensing his brother's distress, entered the room. The soft glow of a lantern illuminated their faces, revealing the concern etched on Matsude's features.

"Another one of those dreams?" Matsude asked, his voice filled with a mix of understanding and worry.

Kotaru nodded, his gaze fixed on the shadows dancing on the walls. "It's like she's trying to tell me something, Matsude. Like I could've done something to save her."

Matsude sighed, a heaviness in his heart. "Kotaru, you can't keep blaming yourself for what happened to Mom. It wasn't your fault. We were just kids. There was nothing we could have done."

Kotaru's eyes flared with frustration. "But I was her son! I should have protected her. Instead, I let her down. I let her die!"

Matsude, the weight of the argument settling heavily between them, tried to reason. "You were just a child. There was nothing you could have done. Blaming yourself won't change the past. It's time to let go of this guilt."

The words, like shards of glass, pierced through Kotaru's defenses. "Let go? How can I let go when the shadows of that night haunt me every time I close my eyes? How can I let go when I see her face, hear her voice, begging for help in my dreams?"

The brothers stood at the precipice of an unspoken struggle, the pain of the past tearing at the seams of their bond. Kotaru, consumed by the shadows that clung to him, couldn't fathom releasing the guilt that had become an inseparable part of him.

In a fit of frustration, Kotaru stormed out of his quarters, the door slamming shut behind him. The village, shrouded in the stillness of the night, bore witness to the silent rift between the brothers.

Wandering through the quiet paths, Kotaru found himself near the pond—the same spot where he and Ayame had shared moments of laughter and connection. The moon reflected on the water's surface, mirroring the turmoil within Kotaru's heart.

As he stood there, grappling with the echoes of shadows and the weight of unresolved pain, a gentle voice broke the silence. "Kotaru?"

Turning, Kotaru saw Ayame approaching, her eyes filled with concern. In the moonlit stillness, their destinies collided once again, and the shadows that clung to Kotaru began to unravel in the presence of Ayame's understanding gaze.

Ayame approached Kotaru with a gentle demeanor, her eyes reflecting both concern and empathy. "Kotaru, what's troubling you? You seemed upset back there."

Kotaru hesitated for a moment, the weight of his emotions pressing down on him. Finally, he took a deep breath and began to share the haunting memories that had gripped him since childhood—the loss of his mother, the dreams that replayed that tragic night, and the overwhelming guilt that had become a constant companion.

Ayame listened in silence, her presence a calming balm for Kotaru's troubled soul. When he finished recounting the painful story, Ayame spoke softly, "I'm so sorry, Kotaru. Losing someone you love is never easy, and carrying that burden alone can be overwhelming."