Chapter 1

Looking into my body length mirror, I shrug to myself. When I do this, my smooth reddish blonde hair slithers onto my chest. Straightened, it reaches about mid torso. I stare back into the blue of my eyes. They remind me of the sky in the middle of the summer, but hold so much pain these days. Most can't see it like I do. Turning away from the mirror, I grab my iPod off the dock-pausing 'Someone Else' by Kellin Quinn. Slipping on my favorite black converse with purple laces, I leave for Avery's house.

I'm going to a Pierce the Veil concert with my best friend Avery. We're 18 years old. I'm wearing black skinny jeans and a Pierce the Veil t-shirt with red letters. She's wearing the same with an Of Mice & Men t-shirt. We're in the front and Vic is like smiling at me in every song at least once and Avery keeps grinning at Jaime and making him laugh while he plays. 

After the concert some big dudes tell us the guys want us to come backstage. We're like holy shit. So we go back and Mike and Tony are standing in the hallway with water bottles. Mike nods and Tony smiles. 

Tony smiles and steps forward. "Hello ladies. They're in that room there." he says, pointing towards a door with a PIERCE THE VEIL sign taped on it. 

"Hey! Can we get your autographs first?" I ask, holding out the PTV merch I bought earlier. Mike smiles.

"Sureeee." he replies, pulling out a Sharpie. They both sign our stuff and wave us through to the next room. 

"Hey guys!" Jaime greets us at the door, smiling. We say hey and stand there awkwardly, not really sure where to go. Vic is sitting on the arm of the couch and smiles when he sees me. 

"Hi." he says.

"Hi..." I reply. The conversation kind of ends there, so we're just looking at each other. Jaime coughs and beckons Avery with his arm. 

"Let's go to a different room. There's this amazing mirror... you'll love it, I can tell." he smiles. Avery laughs and they leave, closing the door behind them. Thank God. Vic stands up and awkwardly rubs his palms on his legs. 

"Ummm... so I noticed you in the crowd out there..." he says, which makes me smile. 

"I noticed you, looking at me." I reply. He laughs awkwardly and smiles at his feet. 

"Yeah... I just thought you were.. I dunno, I just noticed you out of all the screaming people all wearing the same clothes..." he explains, blushing a little bit. 

"Haha yeah well... black is just so great it's hard to wear too much of anything else." I reply, making him laugh. 

"Exactly." he agrees. "So where are you from?" 

"Iowa... I'm starting college in September at Columbia though." I reply. 

"What are you going for?" Vic asks. By this time we're both sitting down on the couch, facing each other, leaning against opposite arms of the couch. 

"Aeronautical engineering." I explain. Good God that's a big word. 

"Jeez. Fancy shit... I don't even know what that means." Vic laughs. 

"It's designing space crafts and airplanes and stuff like that. Not too crazy." I explain, smiling a bit at the idea of my future college career. 

"That's insane. You must be really smart or something." Vic replies, looking really impressed. 

"I am, okay?" I reply, smiling. 

"So you like our music?" Vic asks, changing subjects. I nod.

"Oh yeah... I've been listening to you since I was 13." I reply. Vic nods like he approves.