'*:;,.★ Chapter Six ☆・:.,;*

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

"Nevermind. Let's go," she moved away from him, walking ahead to the Express.

Dan Heng's eyes widened, realising how rude he must have come off just then. Instant regret and guilt replaced his anxiety as he slowly followed behind her in silence.

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚☆

That night, Dan Heng was plagued with voices and memories. They continued to replay in his nightmares, interrupting his slumber constantly.

"Rebirth won't save you. A thousand deaths couldn't pay for your sins."

"You shall be reincarnated and live a life in exile from the Xianzhou Alliance."

"My vengeance will follow you until the day you truly die."

"You will find no refuge among the stars."

"Stop!" he jolted awake for the sixth time.

His breathing was shallow and his head throbbed heavily. The sound of his racing heartbeat pounded within his eardrums. His trembling hand reached out into thin air, as if trying to grasp his remaining sanity. He had not been tormented to this degree in a long time.

His heart sank. The Astral Express was supposed to be his place of solace and solitude, but it seemed not even the serene walls of this train could protect him from his past.

Dan Heng heaved his weary body off the bed, the springs of the mattress creaking quietly to the change of weight. He felt light yet heavy at the same time, which made finding his sense of balance quite difficult. It took a while to make his way to the door as his knees threatened to collapse beneath him with each step.

He leaned on the doorframe as he pushed the door open, welcoming rays of moonlight that flooded the room. His eyes squinted instantly as he adjusted to the sudden change of lighting. Luckily, it was still the middle of the night. He didn't need to worry about anyone seeing him in this sorry state.

Once his eyes were comfortable, he begrudgingly made his way to the restroom. Most bedrooms on the Express had their own bathrooms, but Dan Heng chose to stay in the Data Archives. It was specifically a storage room to hold information collected through every journey. So naturally, there was no personal restroom provided. He was hired to maintain the space and genuinely enjoyed the work. As a sucker for reading and scripture, it was perfect for him.

The splash of cold water against his skin gave him the feeling of relief he yearned for. His arms were propped on the sides of the sink to support his weight as he analysed his reflection in the mirror. The loud beating of his panicked heart finally subsided, and his breathing began to normalise.

Until the reflection shifted.

Within a blink of an eye, Dan Heng's image had reformed. Staring back at him was a reflection with sturdy jade horns and an elegant tail that flowed behind him seamlessly, similar to that of gentle waves of water. His dark locks extended well past his waist, and his eyes contained a dangerous glow. It was a frightening sight. The very embodiment of his worst internal fears.

He glanced down at his body, only to see his regular attire. And when his hand reached behind him, he only felt the absence of those long locks of hair. Everything appeared normal, yet when he peered into the mirror once more, that monster continued to stare into his soul.

'Stop running,' a voice echoed in his mind. It felt like his reflection was speaking to him, yet his mouth did not move.

'You have a sin that must be repaid in this life. As my reincarnation, it is your duty.'