Chapter 2

The weight of uncertainty hung over me like a stormy cloud. Panic set in as I grapple with the consequences of that unforgettable night. But it was soon gone, replaced by a void of  nothingness.

I felt the usual numbness, and pinched myself hoping to wake up from this trance. I stare at my reflection in the mirror and see an empty shell. Pregnant lady searching for mystery man would make a great news title, I think as I let out a hysterical chuckle at the undeniable irony of my circumstance. The one thing my mother taught me was never to have a child if you can't care for it.

I knew it all too well, the fate of a neglected child, unloved and unwanted by the one's you trust, for the first time ever. But here I am with an uplanned child, and an enigma for it's father. The irony is painful.

I failed to hear Mindy's fast strides, as I was too busy musing over my worth as a human being. She burst through the door screaming,"Iris!" At the top of her lungs, while I was standing there, looking like a ghost, with a pregnancy test that shows two lines. My hands started to move on it's own and I hid the test behind me.

"Why didn't you knock?"

"When have I ever knocked? What is wrong with you?"

I gripped the test tighter, I'm not sure if I wanna tell Mindy. It was a wonderful night, but I'm not sure how Mindy would react. She knows me more than anyone else in the world and she's the last person I wanna disappoint. I felt the moisture in my eyes, took a deep breath and pressed my lips together. I don't wanna cry now and make things even more embarrassing.

"I know that look. Tell me what's wrong."

I began to get fidgety as Mindy reached for my hands her eyes grew wide when she saw the pregnancy test.

"Did you have a boyfriend that I didn't know about? Who is he, and when did you start dating him?"

I lowered my head and mumbled, "I had a one-night stand".

"What?? Iris? 'The' Iris had a one-night stand?The world must be coming to an end..."

"Well, who's the guy? Is he someone I know?"

My face grew darker and I went over the number of lies I could tell her, but something in me wanted to reach out to her, tell her everything, and hoped that she would lend me her shoulder. So, I kissed good bye to my  rationality and told her everything. "I don't know his name".

Her eyes narrowed. She let out a high pitched— "You slept with him when you didn't even know his name??"

Her reaction made me stop in my tracks I fumbled over words, praying she would take my side. "He—  he said he's some kind of office worker. That's all I know". In fact that's the only thing I know about him. I mean, apart from how he's like in bed...
I mental slapped myself for thinking back to that night. Hell, I can't even get mad at the guy. But that's not the problem here! The problem is that I know nothing about him. And it's not like I have any idea on what to do even I find him.

She let out a sigh, and I let out a sigh too— Mindy's face gives me all the assurance that I need. "Forget it. Let's go see a doctor".

She went from sympathetic Mindy to Murderous Mindy in the snap of a second, I got chills when she said "Just wait until I find the jerk who did this. I'm gonna make him pay."

She took me to the best hospital in the city, because I was scared that I might bump into someone I know. It's times like this that make me glad that I have Mindy with me. She's walking with me to the gynecologist because she knows I can never ask my mother. I'm pretty sure she'd be a great aunt.
We met the gynecologist and were waiting for my report when I began to feel the weight of my floating head. Today's been one hell of a day. Mindy saw ny discomfort and offered to get me some water.

I was waiting for Mindy when the I met the one person I never expected to run into. The elevator door clicked open, and there he was only a few steps away from where I sat. His blue eyes instantly widened as it met mine. The same elegant silhouette, the one I'll never forget in a million years, made it's way towards me. He stopped before me, and just stood there in all his grandeur, the man of my dreams, and the cause of my nightmares.

I broke eye contact when a sudden bolt of anxiety rushed over me. I made a run for dear life but who knew he'd run after me! it seems he wasn't planning on letting me run the second time. He caught me, and I was in his arms, once again. He had one hand on my wrist and other on my waist. All eyes were on us. The pair of idiots running in a hospital.

I was like, "why're you chasing me?"

He was like, "Why did you run?"

I was like, "I ran because you were chasing me".

He was like, "I need to talk to you."
My nails dug deep into my skin, and bit my lips. My heart was pacing in my chest and I couldn't even think straight as I blurted out, "Why do you want to talk to me? I don't know you."

"It was you I met that night? Wasn't it?

"Oh, I... I came here because... my uterus! My uterus was acting up!

I wished a bodyguard would show up to throw me out for making a ruckus in the hospital. But he didn't. Instead Mindy showed up.

I wriggled my hands out of his gentle grasp, and made a bolt towards Mindy. I whispered as I seeked shelter behind her,"It's him.The guy from that night". Her confused eyes moved from me to him. Analyzing him from head to toe. She gave me a side way thumbs up. I saw her grin disappear as she turned to face him again, this time, frowning and glaring.

Like, and Let me know what you think in the comments!