002. Chapter Two

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Chapter Two
"The Marshes"

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Kiera steps outside, checking the house behind her before closing the door. “You okay?” One of her hands reaches out and rests on Liam's cheek, her thumb gently caressing the cut.

“Never been better.” Liam says jokingly, although his whole body was in pain, as he takes in the warmth and comfort Kiera was giving him. “I… Uh. Sort of got kicked out? I don't have anything. I don't know what to do, Kie.” A crack slithers through his voice, although he hated home, he couldn't lie that he was lost without it.

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Kiera's parents certainly hadn't been too keen on Liam staying but reluctantly allowed. He was sat in Kiera's room while she tried to find him some clothes. You could say that being inside a Kook's house was a definite culture shock. Furniture not torn up or broken, air conditioning: it was a dream.

“Hey… This was all I could find.”

Liam glances over and sees it's Kiera holding a small pile of clothes. “Uh… Yeah. I'll take whatever, it's fine.” He smiles slightly, only making him wince right after as the cut stings. A slight look of worry crosses over Kiera's face, which certainly doesn't go unnoticed by Liam. “I'm fine… Had worse.” His tone must have been reassuring enough for Kiera to believe, as she nods slightly after.

Liam studies the clothes for a few moments: no tears; stains; or anything. “Thanks Kie...”

“For the clothes?” She chuckles, slightly surprised. “No need to thank me for that.”

“No, I mean for everything.”

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

The taller boy followed Kiera as she walked down the steps of her pier, cooler in one hand.

“Top of the mornin' to ya!” JJ greeted Kiera, offering her his hand to help get on the boat, making Kiera giggle. Pope was sat on the back of the MNS Pogue with John B steering.

“Ah… So this is why our mighty warrior wasn't at pickup!” John B announces in a posh voice, looking at Liam. He had forgotten to text the group explaining and when Kiera offered, he had thought it was best to explain in person.

“And with a few mighty battle scars, I see!” JJ continues in an equally stupid posh voice. “Was it a Megalodon! Or maybe a Kraken! Mighty warrior, please do tell your tale!” Kiera and Pope are both watching the scene, laughing at how big of idiots their friends are.

“Yeah… Yeah. Dicks, I get the point.” Liam chuckles, shaking his head as JJ offers Liam his hand as well. “Oh… What a true gentleman.” Liam says, mimicking their posh voice as he slaps JJ's hand away and gets on board himself. Kiera and Pope laugh as John B shakes his head smiling as he starts sailing.

“Alright grumpy…” JJ mutters as he shakes his hand slightly, in pain.

The group sailed away into the marshes, the wind blowing through their hair as the sun shone brightly, illuminating them from behind. The day was hot, so Liam decided to take off his shirt, making JJ whistle: earning himself a middle finger from Liam. Although, he couldn't tell if JJ was being serious or joking.