004. Chapter Four

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Chapter Four
"Meth Lab or Motel?"

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

“Meth Lab or Motel?”

“You be the judge of that.” Pope responded to Kiera.

“Doesn't look like someplace someone with a Grady-White would stay.” As the group gazed at the Motel, John B expressed his thoughts aloud.

The structure was in disrepair, with sections of its walls crumbling due to overgrowth. The lights on the bent sign flickered on and off.

“Nope… Looks like someplace they'd get killed.” Liam finished with a whistle, and Pope agreed with a nod.

“This is your captain speaking. HMS Pogue coming in for a landing.” JJ says in a false announcer's voice as he jumps in front of the boat and ties it up as it comes up onto the grass.

“We good?” Liam asks as he observes JJ.

“We good.” JJ confirms as he ties the knot.

Liam steps off the boat and stands next to JJ. JJ winked at him as the dark-haired boy gazed at him. He rolls his eyes in response, then wraps his arm around his friend's shoulder, the two of them watching the rest of the group. Liam didn't notice JJ's body tensing up at the touch, how he turned bright crimson before calming down. Calm down, calm down… No pogue on pogue macking, the blonde-haired boy wondered before coming back into reality. But it's not like he wanted to mack Liam, is it?

“John B!” Pope yelled as he leaned on the boat's side. “Don't let them do anything stupid.” He says this while pointing his finger at JJ and Liam, both of whom sneered at the boy.

“Oh, don't worry, we definitely will!” They both laughed as they said it simultaneously.

“Not making any promises, but here we go!” As he jumped off the edge of the boat, shoving JJ and Liam forward, John B called back to Pope. As they strolled alongside John B, the duo rolled their eyes.

“Yeah, I know.” As they continued walking, they could hear Pope sigh.

“Hey, John B! Wait a minute, yeah?” A voice called from behind John B, bringing the group to a halt. They looked around to see Kiera approaching them.

“What's up?” As she stands in front of him, John B smiles down at her.

“Be careful.” She smiles and leans in to kiss the boy on the cheek before walking away as if nothing had happened.

A knot tightened in Liam's stomach as he watched, matching the intricate dance of emotions within him. The scene unfolded, exposing a tapestry of agony and sadness woven between his clinched fists and wrinkled brow, as well as a wordless but heartbreaking look of jealousy and bitterness on his face.

As she walked away, his fists gradually relaxed, and a feeling of regret came over him as he realised the stupidity of his reaction.

“Right, let's go.” JJ and Liam exchange a puzzled look as John B directs them away.

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Liam stepped ahead of the group as they complained about the mattresses scattered around.

“Just be so careful, John B.” He said in a high-pitched voice, changing the subject while holding the other boy's face, attempting to draw him closer. John B shoves the boy aside in retaliation.

“You guys are literal morons.” Liam grinned and shook his head, avoiding the mounting jealousy within him.

“God you are literally so weird.” As he stared at JJ, John B sighed.

“What was that about?” Liam asked, his eyes narrowing as he gazed at John B.

“I don't know. Maybe she wants us to be careful?” The youngster shrugged. “Why, you jealous?” He smirked and raised his eyebrows at Liam.

“Seriously? Me? Jealous?” Liam chuckled and shook his head. “Yeah, in your dreams, mate.”

“I've seen the way you look at her.” As he pats Liam on the back, John B laughs.

“Yeah, well, she didn't tell us to be careful, she told you.” JJ immediately changes the subject, emphasising the word us as he does. “Since she heard you're being threatened with exile, she's just been like oh! Be so careful, John B!” JJ moans again, this time gripping Liam's face — who merely laughed and went along with it — and shaking his head.

“Oh, just give me that John D already!” JJ yelled, causing Liam to bust out laughing.

“Now that was fucking vile.” As the duo walks side by side again, Liam wraps his arm around JJ's shoulders.

“When are you gonna swoop on that man?” JJ smirks, ignoring Liam's remark, and turns to face John B.

“Bro, you know the rules. No Pogue on Pogue macking.” As he glances at JJ, John B dismisses the idea. “And plus you still haven't swooped on yours.”

JJ's mouth is gaping, and Liam wrinkles his brows in surprise when John B says that.

“Ay… JJ Maybank? Finally settling down?” Liam smirks and pats his shoulder. “Ain't no way, man.”

“Yeah… I guess?” JJ nods slightly, dismissing the topic of the talk.

Liam nods slightly in response to his friend's dismissal of the topic of conversation. Liam was confused; ordinarily, he would be happy to share with the dark-haired boy, but now he was secretive. Had he done something to JJ?

Liam dismisses the idea and shifts the subject, saying, “The rule is stupid, Pogue on Pogue macking is ridiculous.” Although, John B ignored the remark.

The gang moved, checking the door numbers as they went, seeking for room 29.

“This is it.” John B says as he comes to a halt in front of a door. As JJ knocks on the door, Liam pulls away from him.

“House-keeping!” With a high-pitched voice, he smiled. As Liam sneered at the boy, John B rolled his eyes. As John B inserted the key into the lock, the blonde-haired boy peeked through the glass, checking that no one was inside.

“Should we try it?”

“Yeah? Of course stupid.” Liam grinned. “Literally no power, security cameras. Nobody could possibly know, man!"

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ───

Liam is getting curious now and JJ is getting jealous, wonderful mix. Thanks for reading!

─── ⋆⋅☼⋅⋆ ──

Word count: 1021