Chapter Ten

G R E Y S O N

I couldn't believe it's already been a week since I came back to school. It's been different, people seem to pay a little more attention to me. To be fair Will for the most part is glued to my side. I've been smiling a lot; which most of these kids haven't seen since I was in elementary school.

"Hey Sunshine." Will smiles when I exit my classroom.

"Hi Will." I smile back making Will grin even more.

"Ready for lunch?" I nod and we head to the cafeteria. Declan is already at the table, but he's not alone. Jamie and Hayes are there talking to him. My eyebrows furrow why are they there.

"Hey Dec." I say sitting down next to him.

"Hi Greyson." Jamie greets too enthusiastically.

"Hey Jamie, Hi Hayes." I smile a little.

"They were just asking if they could sit here today." Dec says; both Will and I look at the pair confused.

"I don't know why you'd want to, but whatever floats your boat." I say and glance at Will he just shrugs. There's light conversation over lunch, none of us are very comfortable with each other. When the bell rings everyone separates for whatever class they have next.

"That was so weird." I state as Will and I walk to art.

"I know, why would they even want to sit with us?" Will says confused.

"I don't know, and honestly I don't care that much either." I shrug as we enter the classroom.

"Hey Grey, Hey Will." Ben greets from his desk. I nod to him and sit down.

"Oh Grey, before I forget there's an art exhibit next week and I want you to enter something. You can use a painting you've already done or create something new." Ben smiles handing me a flyer.

"Ok thanks."

"Sunshine, you should enter that painting." Will whispers. I bite my lip thinking about it.

"Ben I think I have a painting for this." He grins coming back over to our table.

"Do you have a picture of it?" I nod and show him. Ben sucks in a breath after seeing it.

"I think it's perfect, I will let the organizers know I have someone entering. You'll have to write a little bit about the painting. Just know what you choose to share will make people think."

"There's also a high possibility that you could win a prize." I nod taking in all the information. I can feel Will watching me closely. I've never entered one of these types of painting in anything. One day I wanted to have a gallery of my own.

"I'm very proud of you Greyson." Ben suddenly says.

"Thank you." Ben knows most of what happened; he's my dad's friend. He became a mentor to me and I think he knew one day I'd show something that was about me; instead of the pretty pieces I normally show. This one is raw and so intense, it's the darkest parts of me. Will rubs my back gently easing my nerves.

"Can I work in the quiet room?" I ask as students file into their seats.

"Of course Grey." Ben says then looks at Will; he motions for Will to come with me. I'm grateful for it honestly. Once we're in the room and the door is shut I yank my hoodie off, Will is quick to wrap his arms around me. I could feel my heart racing, and I was struggling to breathe.

"Breathe with me Sunshine." Will murmurs taking a deep breath and I sync with him. Before I know it I'm calm again.

"You don't have to show that painting if you're not ready." He says tilting my head so I'm looking at him.