CHAPTER 3

Soul couldn't breathe

Soul couldn't breathe. Being completely covered up to save his dear life was the worst experience. He could barely see through his thick, black glasses and tripped in almost every step. Some people even thought he was blind.

To save himself from being more embarrassed, he finally decided to go to his secret place.

It wasn't a hidden spot inside an old apartment, nor was it a high-tech dungeon. Rather, it was an abandoned park. A park, which might have been a place of memories to many kids years ago. It now consists of broken swings and rusted iron.

Soul sat himself on one side of the seesaw, watching the leaves of the mango tree rustle in the wind. It was quite old, so it didn't bear fruits anymore. But it was still adorned with bright, green leaves on every single branch.

Soul found himself smiling. Somehow, he always felt at peace sitting there. His mind felt at ease. A small smile appeared on his lips as he stared at the cloudy sky above him. It was as if the clouds always knew it when he felt lonely. It always rained when he sat by himself and he enjoyed the company. It neither ignored him nor gave him too much attention to mock himself. It never judged him, nor hated him.

His phone tinged with a notification.

Weather alert! Storm ensues! Make sure to stay at home with everything you need!

He sighed, putting his phone back into his pocket. He stood up and started walking out of the park, hands in his pockets. The weather was already starting to be cloudy, and cold air began blowing.

It wasn't like the cold weather would cause him any harm. He'd trained even during catastrophes. A little drizzle would do him no bad.

But the weather was an indication of the start of what people call the cursed time.

When the moon turns bloody and hell pours on Earth.

Soul tried to push all the negative thoughts at the back of his mind. Now was not the time to think of them. His phone buzzed in his pocket again. He decided to ignore it at first, but it continued to buzz. He sighed and decided to check it.

It was Leo.

He looked at the time. It was almost 1:00 pm. He was almost a hundred per cent sure that Leo was calling him for lunch. Still, he decided to pick up the phone.

As soon as he placed the decide next to his ear, a worried voice spoke,

"Where are you, Soul? Did you even look at the time?"

Soul remained quiet. He knew the oldest had more to say.

"You know Scar doesn't like any of his teammates staying out alone. You, more specifically. After everything that happened, we can't let you stay out alone."

You, more specifically.

Soul gripped the phone tighter, trying his best to keep his voice calm and low. He knew that his team was just worried about him, but them always keeping him under their control felt wrong.

"Don't worry about me. Nothing will happen to me. I can defend myself. Anyway, I'll be back in a quarter. See you soon."

Saying so, he hung up the phone before the oldest could even reply. Exhaling, he slid the phone back into his pocket and looked up to the sky. The drizzle drew patterns on the streets.

As he walked home, an advertisement television caught his eye.

"Blood moon: it is reported that a werewolf had escaped the Great Villie Prison. As the sky shows typical signs of the beginning of the bloody week, we would like to request everyone to stay at home and not get out no matter what. While we would request hunting teams to be aware of the creature. The reward will be 1 million won. Moving on-"

Soul turned, now sprinting to get home. He whoops his phone out and dials the leader. A small beep the heard as the recipient answered the call.

"I suppose you heard the news. Get the weapons ready. I coming home."

******

"Let's get this straight. We'll hunt the wolf down and just end it, okay? The media doesn't need to know. Remember, we're not doing this for money. But the Silver-Moon pack must not get a hold of it before we do."

Scar instructed his members who were already preparing their weapons. The sky was gradually turning purple and the streets of Hilstade Vinon had already deprived itself of its inhabitants.

Peinne shot an arrow which struck the cross marked on the bark of their tallest mango tree. Leo's arrow followed soon after.

"Put in the masks!"

Zen shouted. He counted the silver arrows in his quiver, after polishing them with wolvesbane. He insisted on carrying the bottle of it with them, but Scar didn't want to risk losing it.

"Are the earpieces working?"

Zen to nobody in particular, but a series of 'yes's followed. He grabbed his walkie-talkie, turning it on. A green light indicated it was being turned on, along with a beep.

"Don't lose your walkie-talkies and earpieces. Remember to interact with everybody now and then. Got it?"

Scar who had been waiting outside for his teammates to prepare, suddenly barged into the room, panting.

"There's an uproar at the local supermarket."

He turns his attention towards Zen. Their eyes spoke a million thoughts. Zen's orbs turned dark in realization. Enough was said. The team picked up their weapons, put their hands forward and together and vowed-This shall be another save for history.

An encouraging glance was all they needed before they put on their disguises and took off.

The moon was now red.