Velvet

Everyone looked forward to this. From simple maids and eunuchs  to ladies in waiting and guards to the highest most honorable generals and politicians, everyone wanted to be in the presence of the Empress and her high consorts and hopefully make themselves noticed in order to get more powerful.
That's how things worked.

"Mistress you're more beautiful than a blooming rose in the garden of life.." Elkie spoke before taking a step back as she admired her mistress's beauty along the other girls.
"Of course I am, you girls are the ones styling me after all." Tzuyu said , making the 4 ladies In waiting smile,proud of themselves upon hearing her words.
"The reason you always look so breathtakingly beautiful is thanks to your natural beauty my mistress, no amount of jewels and make up will be able to enhance such absolute and immeasurable elegance and beauty." Xiaoting said making Tzuyu chuckle.
"Such sweet talkers. Is Her Majesty at the Gold Pavilion still?" Tzuyu asked as she stood up to look at herself in the mirror fully as the girls adjusted her attire.
"Yes she is, you must be present at the party in your designed spot before she arrives tho.." Elkie warned her mistress who hummed.
"Do not worry, I won't be late."

________________________________________

"Ah mistress you're brighter than the sun itself! Your beauty blinds us!" Sakura said as she fixed the accessories in Sana's hair .
"Is that so?" Sana asked with a smile, laughing as her ladies in waiting nodded enthusiastically.
"I heard the Wise Consort Jeongyeon will attend. " Sana said as she stood up.
"I haven't seen her in years."
"Our Empress has visited the Jade Pavilion many times ,but I heard maids say that The Wise Consort declined spending time with her." Mina said making Sana raise an eyebrow at her.

"Why could that be?" The consort asked curiously making her ladies in waiting shrug as they focused on making final touches to her attire before Momo came rushing into the chamber.
"Mistress! The Imperial Consort Tzuyu has entered the Ruby pavilion's courtyard!" She announced, catching her breath before Sana stood up , frowning slightly.
"Gods what could her reason be? And coming without announcing beforehand too!" She grumbled before walking out of the room and down the long hall towards the living room when Tzuyu was already waiting for her, sitting comfortably on one of the couches as her 4 maids surrounded her.
For a moment Sana stopped to really take her in.
Even if she disliked Tzuyu, Sana found herself at loss of words every time she saw her like this, looking like a real empress, even tho Sana wished she will have that title one day, she thought Tzuyu would fit that role so well.

"Consort Tzuyu." Sana called out, making the younger woman look up before she stood up and smiled slightly as she walked closer to Sana.

"I'm very sorry for visiting you unannounced, I thought it would be best if we come to the ceremony together , so the rumors about our feud and you poisoning me when it wasn't the case will die down." Tzuyu suggested, eyes looking at Sana hopefully.

"Oh, yes, of course." Sana simply said before turning her head to look at her maids and gesturing for them to follow her as they both walked outside the building.
"There is still so much time before the ceremony starts.." Tzuyu said and Sana simply hummed, making the younger consort's blood boil.
Sana was such a lively and chatty woman and she was so loved for her kind personality and sense of humor.
How come she was never like that around Tzuyu??
"Indeed." Sana replied shortly, earning a small frown from the taller woman who sighed as she decided that maybe it wasn't the time for conversation.

But it wasn't really the case.
Sana wanted to have conversations, she just didn't know what to say and she knew that anything she could say would be taken out of context by Tzuyu then used for teasing, which the Consort loved to do  and somewhat Sana was always the target.
Although her jokes were harmless, Sana found them irritating.
"Imperial Consort Tzuyu." A voice called out making the two and their ladies in waiting turn towards the possessor only to see Eunchae bowing.
"Yes?" Tzuyu responded , confused as Sana's gaze moved between the two.
"I didn't get to wish you well, I see you have recovered amazingly!" The young girls said, making Tzuyu smile which , for a moment took Sana aback as she involuntary stared at the woman.

As funny at it sounds she has never seen the Consort Smile so kindly until then.

"Ah, thank you Xiăo māomī. I didn't get to thank you for looking after me either." The woman said as she stepped closer to the girl before reaching out to take out a hairpin from her own hair and carefully placing it in the young maiden's as the others, Eunchae included looked at her surprised.

It wasn't often that this happened.
Offering a hairpin to someone had a very important significance.
Many have their hairpins to ones they loved, wanted to protect or respected, so having a high concubine offer you one was unusual.
"T-thank you.." the young maiden mumbled earning a delighted hum from the consort before Tzuyu turned to face Sana who stared at her as if she grew to heads which made Tzuyu raise an eyebrow at the older woman who quickly fixed her face before clearing her throat.
"I see you've taken a liking in my lady in waiting." Sana said, calmly as they continued their walk towards the gold pavilion.
"She is a brilliant young girl, no wonder you chose her as a lady in waiting." Tzuyu replied making Sana look at her.
"Meaning?"
"You don't hire anyone to be so close to you all the time, reason why you only had 4 ladies in waiting initially, am I right?" Tzuyu asked and the other consort just nodded.
"I think that is a smart idea." The younger consort stated making Sana hum.
"I also wanted to thank you." Tzuyu said as they stopped at the gates of the Gold pavilion before turning to face Sana who looked up at her confused.
"What for?"
"For looking out for me. I know you were the one that made sure to find someone that could cure me and I know that you visited yourself to see how my situation was." Tzuyu said as she searched for Sana's eyes, but the consort was currently looking anywhere but at her which made Tzuyu a bit disappointed.
"Her highness asked me to do that.. and I couldn't just let you die. That wimp of a physician would have never managed to treat you .." Sana mumbled under her breath loud enough for Tzuyu to hear who couldn't help but smile.
"And for that you have my respect and admiration  Virtuous Consort Sana, if not for you finding Eunchae I wouldn't be here now." The younger woman said making Sana's face flush red.
"I hope you haven't been waiting for too long!" Nayeon's voice made the two turn to look at her before bowing.
"Don't worry your highness, we just arrived here." Sana said making Nayeon smile before she turned to look at Tzuyu.
"You could have rested for longer.." she said , worry laced in her tone as she held Tzuyu's hand gently, making the consort smile as Sana looked at them with a subtle frown on her face, which didn't go unnoticed by Tzuyu who's gaze burrowed deeply into Sana's before it landed on Nayeon's once again.
"I'm feeling better now and I wanted to assist you and Consort Sana today." Tzuyu said, surprising Sana once again and earning the brightest smile From Nayeon who turned to look at Sana before taking hold of her hand as well, which made the red haired woman smile instantly.
"Seems like you two are getting along better! That's amazing!"