✿- Promises- Xiao

featuring:- Xiao, fem!reader
warnings:- none, fluff
a/n:- not proofread (like usual), i would've felt very bad if i gave yall angst on new year so here you go!

wc:- 0.9k

Xiao stood silently on the terrace of Wangshu Inn, watching the hustle-bustle of the mortals, lost in thoughts

Xiao stood silently on the terrace of Wangshu Inn, watching the hustle-bustle of the mortals, lost in thoughts. It would be midnight in an hour or two, and with it would come the beginning of another new year.

Xiao didn't get all the excitement these mortals created around New Year. Nevertheless, as usual, he did his job to protect Liyue every night.

He was staring at the brightly-lit scenery in front of him, countless stars twinkling above and all sorts of lanterns burning bright below, when he felt a familiar presence come up to him. And a rare small smile graces his pretty face, when he sees you stand next to him with a grin. "Enjoying the view? The celebrations this time are even more festive than last time." You ask.

"I don't see the point in these activities. Perhaps these mortals have nothing better to do." He scoffed, although there was no sting in his words.

Often Xiao wondered how he had been so lucky to find someone as extraordinary as you. You- kind, caring, empathetic, understanding, and yet you could also be ruthless, merciless and fierce when it came to protecting your loved ones. You, who stayed with him all of this long time, never once abandoning him, even when he came home exhausted, covered in blood, late into the night. It couldn't have been easy, to put up with him all this time, and yet you did. And when you passionately told him that you'd always stay with him, no matter what, he could somehow believe your reassuring words. Sometimes, no, often, Xiao felt like he did not deserve you, not knowing that you felt the same way. After all, he was one of the great adepti, and incredibly reserved and antisocial. How you'd managed to get him out of his shell, not even you knew. But oh well, enough of all that. It is New Year after all.

"Alright, alright, Mr Adeptus." you laughed jokingly. "Come on, I have somewhere I wanna take you to." Sensing his hesitance, you add, "Don't worry, I've made sure no one's there. Its pretty secluded, so it'll be just the two of us. Its my surprise for you for New Year's." And again, he falls a bit more for you like he does everyday, at your care for him, something he's undeserving of. (In his opinion- you would beg to differ.)

So you two set off, with Xiao following your lead, silently admiring you from behind. The atmosphere between you is quite comfortable as you hold his hands easily, leading him through some forest to a hilltop. Judging by the lights and the activity they could see in the distant Harbor, the clock was close to striking twelve, and you hurry him through the final stretch before they emerge into a familiar clearing.

"Remember this place, Xiao?" you ask with a grin. He nods in response, looking around the place where he first met you, where his life completely changed for the better. "How could I ever forget it." He murmurs, looking around at the decorations you've set up here. There was a small hut here, and you 'd put up lights on it and the surrounding trees. In addition, there's also a comfy picnic blanket and homemade food. Everything here has a little touch of you, and he wouldn't have it any other way.

Again, a comfortable silence falls between you two as you rest on the blanket, overlooking the bustling Harbor, occasionally munching on some goodies (aka you stuffing food in his mouth because he refused to eat.) As the fireworks go up throughout the Harbor together, illuminating the sky brighter than the stars, you lean against him as you take his hand and put something in it. He carefully holds it as if it's a valuable treasure (Which it is- anything given to him by you is), seeing a beautiful pendant that matches his attire. "..Did you get this for me?" He asks softly, touched by your gesture. "No, I made this for you as your New Year gift." You respond quietly. "Should I put it on for you if you want?" "Yes, please." After a bit, he says, "Thank you so much." You merely smiled as you finished clasping the pendant behind his neck, and then backhugged him.

He speaks up again. "I... also have something I made for you. It's not as good as what you gave me, but it's an adepti protection bracelet. It could help you out sometime." He cautiously puts the mentioned item into your hands, and he thinks the effort he put into making it is completely worth it when he sees the beautiful smile on your face as you immediately put it on, admiring it.

You spend the rest of the night on that hilltop where everything began, watching the celebrations of a new start, a new chance far below, in each other's loving company, with the promise of a long and happy future ahead.