The Reaping

The Reaping

I woke up to the sounds of sobbing and shocked gasps. It was my mum and my sister, it was something they always did on this time of year. They don't eat, they just cry, I went down to eat my breakfast as Greasy Saes granddaughter cooked for us; She was a survivor of the 1,234 hunger games; Her trembling hands were stirring the eggs when I said ''Good morning.'' She jumped nearly throwing the eggs at me when she started crying.''Its never a good morning on this day.'' I stopped talking as she did the only thing that kept her calm, cook; Jasmine survived because she stayed hidden in the sand; The arena was a desert; The games only lasted 2 days but she did horrible things to survive, we don't talk about it. After breakfast, I went hunting in the woods like my mother always taught me, she was the best hunter. I met Casper my best friend , I looked at him and he smiled as he shot 2 squirrels with his bow and arrow. ''So, today is the day, we might get chosen for our deaths.'' He said sarcastically.

''Yeah, I hope you get chosen so you'll stop grinning your ass off.''

''Your crazy, I'll probably get killed straight away.''

''Nah, with our skills we'd survive.''

''Yeah then one of us would die.'' After that we spoke about other stuff trying to ignore the fact that we might die. After catching ten baby deers and four squirrels, we went back to the market and we sold everything. I brought a hairband for my sister like I always do but today I brought a gold one. We parted ways and both went back to our family's.

I got dressed in my oldest, ugly looking clothes to show that I don't care unlike other people, they go in their best clothes. Our district is a hunting district so we have better chances of survival in the games, that's why we're always part of the careers and we are the most common winners but the problem is only some can hunt. ''Hi sis so do you want to see what I got you today.'' I asked my sis

''Yeah please hope its a pig, hope its a pig.'' She said in her squeaky voice jumping on the spot.

''No, maybe next year I'll buy it but this year I got you a hair band to match your blond hair.''

''If we're alive next year'' She mumbled while looking down on the floor

''What did you say.'' Before she could answer, the alarm went off;Telling us to go to the town center; We lined up in formation as always as the national anthem began and we all sang along. After that a holoscreen played the history of America. Elizabetta;The woman who represents us; came on stage and said. ''Welcome and Welcome to the 2,000 Hunger Games and may the odds be forever in your favor and now as always we start with the girls.'' She walked to a round box and took out a sheet and read ''Charlotte Finn, Charlotte Finn come to the stage please.'' A beautiful young girl went to the stage, she smiled as if she had already won. She was well-built and I've seen her hunt with a spear so she could probably survive a few days as long as she had a spear. '' And now to the boys'' she walked slowly to the other box and dug into it and took out a long sheet. ''Oh no wow that's amazing, the boy chosen to play in this years Hunger Games is Damien Everdeen come on up Damien.''  What did she say did she say my name. ''Come on Damien, don't be shy.'' I walked to the stage  smiling when I saw Casper looking at me also grinning. People were shocked at why I was smiling and I shouted in a deep, strong voice ''I don't care about this so-called Games all I care about is winning and showing these people how the Everdeens do it.'' And with that every ones smiled and showed our district symbol. Peace sign, Elizabetta went to the final  box where everything was mixed and took out a piece of paper and read out. '' George Ronnie come out and say hello. Wow 2 boys, 1 girl.'' A huge boy came out he was the school bully and he was huge, he was dench but me and him were friends so I could trust him. We were taken to the Mayer's house and each of us were located in separated rooms to say goodbye to their love ones. My mum and sis came first and they were crying. ''I'm sorry bro for everything bad I ever did to you even spitting in your tea this morning.'' Ignoring my sister and the last comment she said. I gave her a big hug and told her the basics about how to hunt and then my mother came to me and hugged me then she whispered in my ear. ''Win baby win for us and your Great-Grandmother Katniss may she protect you in the Arena.'' 

''Thanks mum I promise I'll win for you and my sister love you mum.'' I looked at her with tears in my eyes; wiping them so they wouldnt see it.

''Love you too'' The peace keepers came and  took my crying mother and sister away and Casper came in next.

''Yo, Bro I'm expecting to see you in a month or two - Alive.''

''Of course man and take care of my family.'' And with that we said our goodbyes and after him my friends came in and said bye, even strangers came to show they're respect. But I knew  they expected me to die;I could see it in their eyes; Later I was escorted by three peacekeepers carrying rifles to the transport train and I knew this was the beginning of a war between life and death.