ⒸⒽⒶⓅⓉⒺⓇ ③

"Watcha get?"  Cheyenne asked.

"I don't know, I haven't opened it yet." Jake said while looking at the present.

"Then open it?" Freya asked.

Jake was about to open it when he saw Cheyenne pulls out a cigarette and was about to light it when Jake stops her. "Don't make my room stink." Jake said dryly.

Cheyenne paused and put the cigarette back into the box. "Fuck you then." She snapped and Jake rolled his eyes before finally opening the present. He revealed a book, but the only thing that stood out to him was the word 'Emerson' and Jake gasps.

Freya and Cheyenne look at the book with confusion. "What, did you like really want this book or something?" Cheyenne asked.

"No." Jake sighed. "When I found grandpa he was still alive and..he told to find Emerson." Jake said mainly to Cheyenne. "Do you think this is what he meant?" Jake asked.

"Must be." Cheyenne answered. "I don't know any Emerson's."

Jake gave a questioning look to Freya and Freya shook her head. "Me neither." She added.

Jake opened the book and the front page had his grandpa's writing on it. 'To Jake, and the world he has yet to discover.' It said. Cheyenne and Freya give each other a knowing look but Jake doesn't see it. Jake turn the page again to see a postcard, remembering his grandpa had mentioned a postcard. He picks it up and flips it over to see a message.

𝓜𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓐𝓫𝓮,

𝓘 𝓱𝓸𝓹𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓼 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓭 𝓯𝓲𝓷𝓭𝓼 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝔀𝓮𝓵𝓵.
𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓬𝓱𝓲𝓵𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓷 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓘 𝔂𝓮𝓪𝓻𝓷 𝓽𝓸 𝓱𝓮𝓪𝓻 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓷𝓮𝔀𝓼. 𝓘 𝓭𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓹𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾'𝓵𝓵 𝓿𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓽 𝓾𝓼 𝓪𝓰𝓪𝓲𝓷 𝓼𝓸𝓸𝓷.
𝓦𝓮 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓵𝓭 𝓼𝓸 𝓵𝓸𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓮𝓮 𝔂𝓸𝓾.

𝓦𝓲𝓽𝓱 𝓪𝓭𝓶𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷,
𝓐𝓵𝓶𝓪 𝓟𝓮𝓻𝓮𝓰𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓮.

Jake flips it back over to see the postcard had come from an island called Cairnholm.

"Who's Miss Peregrine?" Cheyenne asked.

Freya scoffed and rolls her eyes. "The one from grandpa's stories, Chey." She said dryly.

"What ones that?" Cheyenne asked.

"The one that turns into a bird?" Jake said as if it was obvious.

"The hot one?" Cheyenne asked, more to Freya than Jake.

"Yes, Cheyenne, the hot one." Freya sighed.

"The what one?" Jake asked.

"The 'hot' one." Freya said. "It's a thing from when we were younger. Cheyenne had a burning crush on Miss Peregrine when she was six." Freya started giggling and looked at Cheyenne. "Remember when you rejected that sweet seven year old boy because you were 'waiting for Miss Peregrine to come and get you' Chey?"

"Oh piss off, not you exposing me." Cheyenne said with a slight blush on her face.

Freya laughed and Jake smiled, but then his focus shifted back to the postcard. "What do I do with this?" He asked.

"I don't know, what do you want to do?" Freya asked.

Jake and his parents sat outside Doctor Golan's office the next day. Jake had convinced Cheyenne to come with him knowing that she was his mum's favourite niece, she could help convince his mum to let him go to the island.

"What about a lavender?" Jake heard his mum ask Cheyenne.

"You don't look like a lavender typa girl." Cheyenne said casually.

"Oh." His mums shoulders slumped in disappointment. Cheyenne hummed while looking at his mums nails.

"Maybe a shade of sky blue, with some white swirls." Cheyenne said thoughtfully.

His mums shoulders raised back up and she smiled. "That sounds good."

Doctor Golan walked out of the office and smiled "Jacob Portman?"

Jake stood up and the other three followed behind him. When they say in their seats with Jake's parents next to each other, Jake next to his mum and then Cheyenne sitting on the arm next to Jake. Jake handed over the postcard to Doctor Golan and she hummed thoughtfully.

"Do you think Miss Peregrine is alive, Doctor Golan?" Jake asked hopefully.

"Hmm." She hummed thoughtfully while examining the postcard much more than she needed to. "Only two years ago, it's possible she could still be alive." She said professionally.

"Right!" Jake said with renewed hope. "And I could meet her, maybe even find what grandpa wanted me to find."

"But what if she's dead?" His mum cuts in. His mum turns to Doctor Golan. "Doctor Golan, we are very concerned about Jake's state of mind right now." His mum said and Doctor Golan nods in understanding. His mum turns to Jake "and there's no way I'm putting my life on hold to take you to Wales."

"It's near Wales, actually." Cheyenne said with disinterest.

"In Wales or near Wales, I'm not putting my life on hold to take you there." His mum said defensively.

"Cheyenne can take me." Jake said hopefully. "She has her dad's boat, and she's a responsible adult."

"We can't put that sort of responsibility on your cousin, Jake." His mum said.

Jake seemed defeated until his face lit up with hope again. "Well, dad could take me." His mum made a thinking face, Jake took this as good news. "And dad can look at birds, work on his book." His dad looked at him with raised eyebrows. "And, like Doctor Golan said, maybe I can move on." Jake added. "Like, closure." He looked toward his psychiatrist hoping she would back him up.

To Jake's relief, Doctor Golan is on his side. "Having an opportunity to see this children's home, and separate fantasy from reality, may be helpful." She said slowly and cautiously to Jake's parents. She continued after she was met with silence, "and at the very least,  a trip like this provides a chance to say goodbye."

The next day, Jake, his dad and Cheyenne left on his dads small fishing boat to head for Cairnholm. Jake knew that Cheyenne had been worried about leaving her family at home, especially her brothers, but she had decided to come after Freya had whispered something into her ear. It wouldn't be odd to Jake that they were whispering to each other secretly but it did raise some questions when they wouldn't share what they were whispering about, normally they would share a brief detail.

—————-

A/N
Sorry it's shorter than the others, but happy new year everyone 🎉‼️