Tired Eyes

Quietly sitting on the L train with a book in her hand, Maggie read Pride and Prejudice once again, her eyes moving left to right every minute or so as she soaked in every word

Quietly sitting on the L train with a book in her hand, Maggie read Pride and Prejudice once again, her eyes moving left to right every minute or so as she soaked in every word. Her frizzy dark brown hair was braided on the right side and laid on her shoulder, going up and down as she breathed softly. It was the same routine she had fallen into after two years of leaving work a tired mess, read her book on the train, then getting off to go home to her little apartment and take care of her grandfather.

Finally the train reached Maggie's stop and she gathered her things in her crossbody bag, brushing off her scrubs and pulling her coat tighter on before getting up and getting off. Tugging her stray hairs behind her ears, she looked around the empty subway before making her way up the stairs and into Hell's Kitchen. It was a short walk home, her breathing turning into fog in front of her as she went.

It wasn't long until she reached her apartment building and scurried upstairs to her floor. Maggie let herself in with her keys and breathed a sigh of relief as she smelled coffee. "Grandpa, it's too late to be making coffee." Maggie muttered as she walked from the corridor into the apartment more, seeing her grandpa sitting in a chair as he sipped a beige mug. His white and grey mustache hairs were brown from the coffee as his equally brown eyes squinted at her from over the mug.

Once he got done sipping his drink, he pulled it back and made a grunting noise. "Ahhhh, poppycock! I could drink five cups and still be tired." Maggie shook her head at him as she walked over and inspected his colostomy bag.

"Have you been able to change your bag?" Maggie asked him as she kneeled to check it. Grandpa waved her hand away in irritation as she reached for it.

"Yes, yes, I did. Don't worry about little old me. Instead, worry about getting into the shower and getting clean." Maggie looked him in the eyes, her tired ones searching his for the truth as his hand reached out and laid gently on her cheek. "You look tired." He spoke softly as she sniffed a bit and looked down, breaking contact and getting back up.

"I'll be fine. I'm going to shower but you better make sure that your bag is truly changed before bed or I'll do it myself, Grandpa." Maggie warned before making her way towards her room, grabbing clothing, and then to the shower. Quickly scrubbing herself down in blistering hot water, she hopped out and braided her wet hair then got into her pajamas.

Maggie eventually made her way into the kitchen and started getting things ready for dinner. "You hungry for spaghetti?" She asked him as he groaned.

"I hate that stuff, we eat it so often." Maggie sighed lowly, the tiredness seeping out at she had the same argument with him that she had with every food she suggested.

"Let's call in pizza then." Maggie quickly gave up the idea on arguing with him as he grinned at her at that.

"Smart idea, Maggie darling." A small smile made its way to her lips at the warmth he exuded. Walking to the living room, Maggie switched off the kitchen light and sat on the couch, pulling a blanket over her legs before she pulled out her phone to call in the pizza.