A Change in The Wind

As they stared one another down, a sudden knock made them both jump

As they stared one another down, a sudden knock made them both jump. Maggie turned her head to look at the door just as Frank did and Grandpa looked at them both in confusion.

"Why are you two acting so jumpy? It's just the door." Grandpa started to get up as Maggie walked over to him and held her hand up.

"There was a robbery last night Papa, why don't you let Frank answer the door instead?" Papa stared at her apprehensively before slowly sitting back down in his chair.

"Oh, alright. I didn't hear about a robbery. Is everyone okay?" He asked as Frank walked over the door slowly as he leaned down and patted his leg for a moment. Maggie felt a swell of anger as she realized he was carrying a gun on him and probably had been this entire time.

"I think so, yeah. Just can't be too cautious." Maggie explained as he nodded. Frank answered the door a crack then before sighing and opening it the rest of the way.

"Red." Frank muttered as Matt stood at the door in a grey suit, his cane, and a satchel bag.

"Oh Matt! How are you my good man?" Grandpa called from his chair as he gave a wave. Matt smiled charmingly at him in his general direction as he stepped in.

"I'm good George. How are you?" He asked as Grandpa shrugged.

"Same old, same old. Maggie keeps me in line like always."

"I can imagine. She runs a tight ship." Matt tilted his head. "But I'm here to come get our mutual friend Frank here."

"You know Frank?" Grandpa asked in surprise. "He's a nice lad! You two should introduce me to your friends more often."

"You'd steal them all if I did that Papa." Maggie teased as he waved at her dismissively with a grin.

"I can't help it if your friends like me more. Anyways, I'm going to go and lay down for a bit. 80 is too old not to take naps. Also Maggie, I can't find Donut anywhere. Have you seen him?" Grandpa asked with a frown as Maggie's face fell slightly.

"Donut died a long time ago Papa. Remember? We had him when I was a kid." She gently reminded him as he averted his eyes in embarrassment as he got up.

"I see.. Well you two have fun talking." He was clearly upset and Maggie was tempted to follow after him but instead just watched as he went into his room and softly closed his door.

"Is he taking his medicine like he's supposed to?" Matt asked as Maggie sighed, walking to the kitchen and putting on a pot of coffee with a nod.

"Yes. It's only getting worse though."

"You can't fight dementia, Mag." Matt spoke solemnly as she turned around, crossing her arms as she watched him carefully, trying not to say anything in her upset.

"I know." She told him simply as Frank cleared his throat.

"Sorry to interrupt, but is everything situated?" He asked Matt as Matt nodded his head.