Warming Up

Maggie paused for a moment as she tried to come up with a convincing lie as to what he had heard but Grandpa spoke again before she could

Maggie paused for a moment as she tried to come up with a convincing lie as to what he had heard but Grandpa spoke again before she could. "Do you have a male guest? That's okay, you know. I used to have female guests over- well before your Grandmother that is."

"Hi, don't mean to interrupt." Maggie swiveled around to look at Frank who was now changed from his bloody pair of jeans into a pair of black sweats, ones that had been in Maggie's closet for a long time.

"Frank, what are you-"

"Oh hello! You're Maggie's friend, I take it?" Grandpa asked, getting up and walking over to him as he held out his hand to shake. Frank took it and gave him a shake with a charming smile.

"Yes, I am. You must be George. Maggie here has told me a lot about you." He lied between his teeth smoothly as Maggie just stared daggers at him with a spatula in her hand before quickly swiveling around to take care of the eggs.

"Well it's certainly nice to meet you, Frank! Magnolia here is the sweetest, you'll find. Although, she has a fierce tongue on her if you make her mad." He warned him, patting his arm before going back over to his chair to sit down.

"Oh don't I know it." Frank said with a smirk as Maggie glanced back to him with a roll of her eyes.

"Will you be joining us for breakfast, Frank?" Grandpa asked just as Maggie threw the bacon on.

"I would love to, if that's okay with everyone."

"I don't see why not, the more the merrier!" Grandpa spoke cheerfully just as Maggie took the bacon off too and gave a fake smile.

"Frank, can I talk with you- in private?" She asked him, her eyes narrowed before walking over and grabbing his shirt, dragging him into her room and closing the door. "What the fuck are you doing?" She whispered angrily.

"Magnolia is a very pretty name." He murmured lowly with a grin, his eyes examining her closely. Maggie blushed somewhat with a glare.

"Shut up. Listen, I don't know what game you're playing here bud, but my Grandpa doesn't need to be involved. Got it? I don't introduce him to people who don't come back regularly because it's not good for him to see a bunch of random faces. He needs routine and when you go wherever the hell it is you're going to get whatever revenge you're looking for, I'll have to answer the same question everyday about where my friend Frank is and I'm not-"

Frank interrupted her mid-rant. "I'll come back. Gotta get you that coffee still, right? I'm not playin' any game. I just want to eat breakfast at a table like someone normal for a second." His voice was low and rough, the tiredness seeping in. Maggie felt her heart twinge for a moment but kept pressing it.

"But you're not normal! None of this is normal, get it? Not even less than 10 hours ago, you were bleeding all over my kitchen floor and I sewed up the hole in your leg. You're some sort of vigilante like Matt, trying to satisfy that itch for justice. And I get it, I do, but if you wanted normal, this sure is a far cry from it."