Secrets of The Past

"What was that?" James asked Maggie quietly as she walked back down the hall out into the foyer. "I heard yelling."

"A guest tried to touch me." Maggie told him as he shook his head.

"Everyone should know at this point but you're new again and some of these are guys Astor's picked up since you've been gone, so I guess they think they can try it. Dummies." He clicked his tongue just as Jasmine got done singing. James then started up his computer while prepping the sound equipment. "Time to put on the music."

"You were great, Jas!" Maggie told her as she grinned, stopping at the booth to talk.

"Thanks doll. We're lively in here tonight." She turned to James then. "James what is on the music list?" She asked as he pulled it up on his computer to let her look. "Ooh, looks like we're going for a jazz vibe tonight, I like it. Well I have to go and start serving drinks but if you need anything, come get me."

She squeezed Maggie's shoulder and then walked away. Maggie soon fell into a rhythm of bringing guests back to Astor's office every 45 minutes or so until finally, it was her turn to sing on stage. For some reason, she started feeling jittery right as she was about to get on stage but chalked it up to nerves and took a deep breath, looking in the mirror to check that everything was in place and that she looked presentable.

"Next up is Magnolia Fitzgerald singing Greedy!" James called on the mic and clapping ensued as she waved and got up on stage. As soon as she did, her eyes scanned the crowd before her eyes fell on what looked to be who she hadn't seen in almost 20 years.
Wilson Fisk.

His eyes looked to her but she couldn't tell if he recognized her or not.

"Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a good night so far!" She spoke into the mic with a grin as she took it off the stand before the music started. "He said are you serious? I've tried but, I can't figure out. I've been next to you all night and still don't know what you're about."

As Maggie sung, her eyes made there way around the room again, trying not to stare at Fisk but her eyes briefly went to him again. Lo and behold he was still staring at her with his hands clasped together while his elbows sat on the table as he leaned forward, listening intently apparently. Ignore his eyes and put on a good performance. Maggie thought to herself before turning away from him.

"You keep ta-ta-ta-talking but not's much comin' out your mouth." Maggie walked the stage, feeling more confidence as she sung and the crowd's eyes were glued to her. "Can't you tell that I want you? I say, yeah I would want myself. Baby please believe me, I'll put you through hell just to know me, yeah so sure of yourself. Baby don't get greedy." The rest of Maggie's performance went smoothly and when she was done, roaring applause erupted from the crowd as she winked before waving and walking off the stage.

"Girl, that was hot!" Erika squealed as she stood near James with a grin.

"Was it? I was so nervous at first, I haven't done this in forever."

"Yes!! Honestly it's like you haven't been gone a day. I saw one of our new regulars eyeing you up the entire time you were on stage, too. That big shot Fisk." Maggie felt her blood run cold for a moment as she swallowed harshly at that.

"O-oh yeah?" She asked as Erika nodded.

"Yeah, he don't really pay much attention to us so I was surprised but he must like what he see's with you or something. Hopefully that'll bring in more revenue."