2 | Hot Chocolate And You

As the two of us approached the door of my house, I was immediately greeted by my mother who was scowling, disappointed. I nervously smiled hoping that she wouldn't be as mad as I thought she would be. 

"Y/N! What were you doing out there in the rain! I specifically told you to not go out!" My mother screamed while blocking the entrance, making sure to reprimand me before coming. Her gaze then shifted to the boy - Kabukimono. 

"And who might this be?" She asked as her expression softened, his cuteness made my mother's heart want to explode. Alas, she adored cute things, and would often stitch up some plushies and gift them to small children in town. 

Kabukimono seemed to be really anxious, and tried to hide behind me. 

"His name is Kabukimono. He was in the rain without any shelter, so I brought him here. He's not dangerous, so don't worry!" I said as I reassured my mother, convincing her that the boy would not bring any danger to the family. After glaring at Kabukimono for what felt like an eternity, she finally decided to trust me and let him in the house. 

"Alright. Come in, you two. I'll make some hot chocolate!" My mother said and we followed her into the house. 

∘₊✧─────────────────────✧₊∘

"Woah! He's so pretty!" Ayuto said in excitement with sparkly eyes as the rest of my siblings all crowded around Kabukimono, curious about his identity yet also admiring his features. 

While I drank my hot chocolate, Kabukimono was getting all the attention he could, though he seemed quite anxious about it. He seemed hesitant to drink the hot chocolate, only fiddling around with the cup with his fingers. 

"He looks like a cat." Sister Misen muttered as she leaned in closer to peer at Kabukimono, but making sure to give him some personal space. 

"He seems quite mature and responsible for his age. Unlike a certain somebody who sneaked out of the house in the pouring rain." Hideshi said as he proceeded to glare at me, obviously implying what I did today. 

My father continued to read the newspaper like he didn't care that there was a stranger in the house, but I caught him taking a couple of peeks at the boy. I was glad that everyone liked him, although I suppose he was getting a beat heated from the attention. 

"Oh for goodness sake, give the boy some space!" My mother yelled furiously as she wavered her hands at my siblings, telling them to get away. Puppy-faced, they all went back into the other room as per my mother's orders. 

Kabukimono seemed somewhat relieved that everyone was gone now, and began to drink the hot chocolate. As soon as a sip of the hot chocolate entered his mouth, his face lit up instantly. 

"Good, isn't it!" I asked as I giggled, because he just seemed to keep taking sips of the drink until he ran out of breath. 

"Tasty... What do you call this?" He asked innocently, continuing to drink the hot chocolate. I chuckled slightly before answering, because it was also my favourite drink. 

"It's hot chocolate!" 

"I see... it tastes sweet." 

"You don't like sweet things?" 

"No, it's just that this is my first time drinking something like this." When he said that, my heart just seemed to drop, becoming even more curious about the life he had. 

I pointed to the direction of the door excitedly. 

"Look, the sound of the rain stopped! I need to show you around!" As I said those words, his face lit up. He must have not liked rain, considering he spent his life outside - so when it rained, it rained on him, who did not have much shelter. 

Kabukimono smiled, so I smiled too. 

Seeing him happy made me happy. 

Seeing him sad made me sad. 

Seeing him angry made me angry. 

Today was the day that brought the biggest change to my life. 

∘₊✧─────────────────────✧₊∘

That night, my parents allowed Kabukimono to sleep at our house, for he had nowhere else to go. He insisted that it was fine as he spend his life sleeping outside, but my parents were stubborn with their choice. In the end, he gratefully accepted their kindness, and seemed relieved though he had tried to reject their offer before. 

That night while everyone was asleep, I pulled up a diary and licked my lips as I began to write. 

Day 1

Today, it was raining really hard. It was pouring rain with thunder and all that, but I was supposed to meet up with Emiko today. I was almost certain that she would be there, you know, being the wild risk-taker that she was. 

My mum said no (obviously), but that didn't stop me from sneaking out. We were meant to bury our time capsules today, and I was so excited for it. 

However, when I got to our safe spot, Emiko wasn't there. Instead, there was a boy named Kabukimono. 

Kabukimono looked to be around my age, but he seemed really mature. I wonder why? 

Well it turns out that he is a wanderer who was abandoned (by his parents, I'm assuming). 

He's also super cute! And beautiful, too. Misen said that he looks like a cat, and I almost burst out laughing when she said that because I completely agree. 

He's going to start living with us, I hope. I want to become closer to him. I'm going to introduce him to Emiko, and the three of us will become friends for life! Who knows, me and Kabukimono might become something more! Haha, that's a joke btw. 

I decided to start this diary for him. Maybe if he ever doubts my intentions, he can read this and believe that I was genuine about all the things I did with him. I hope that it doesn't get to that point, though. 

I want to show him the 'Eternal Tree' one day. It's only a couple minutes away from the house, and it's the most beautiful specimen that I have ever seen. It's way bigger than the 'safe spot' near my house too. It's leaves are pink and purple, and it's branches are delicate and elegant. I'm not sure if he's seen it yet while wandering out, but I want to show him it anyways. 

He also really likes hot chocolate, like me. We could be hot chocolate buddies. The chocolate duo! We should have a competition to see who could stuff their faces with chocolate and finish a box of it first, though that would only be in our dreams cause there's no way that my parents can afford that. 

Sister Misen is also about to become of age, so a lot of money has already gone into that. Darn it, if only I was rich! (I still love you guys though)

Anyways, bye!

- Y/N

As I finished writing the last section, I hid away the diary and pen in the bottom drawer, then tucked myself under the blankets. I stared at the ceiling which I could touch with the tip of my fingers as I began to smile while slowly closing my eyes, drifting to sleep. 

Goodnight, Kabukimono.