Four

I dashed down the stairs, tying my hair into a bun. I rushed over to greet my in-laws. I was not made aware of their visits. I walked into the living room to hear laughter.

I wore a red top and a knee-length skirt. It's decent enough to make me seem like I've showered. "Hello everyone," I smiled as I waved to everyone. Adagio's brothers, as well as Adagio and his parents, were all present.

"Oh, Aster, come here," Mrs. Amato said, patting the empty seat beside her.

I awkwardly approached her. I have known them since I could remember but they all suddenly appear to be strangers. They all seem to be different. Everything appeared to be new to me. I looked around at everyone and considered why I was feeling this way.

Is it because they have something to do with my family that they had to force me into this marriage and not feel bad about it? What is the true reason for our marriage? It's because of the contract, but what exactly is in it?

One thought led to another, filling my mind with why this and why that questions. I became desperate for answers. I looked around as if I didn't know anyone. Even Arlo didn't seem familiar.

My gaze was drawn to Mr. Adagio. He appeared to be more ruthless than Adagio's. Now I know who he appears like. Both of their stares are devoid of any feelings or emotions. I only see coldness and emptiness. I'm sitting there, clueless, among those I've become distant from.

 "How are you, dear?" Mrs. Amato inquired. I stepped out of my thoughts and nodded slightly, "I'm fine ma, how are you?" Her hand circled my back, and I felt uneasy. What is the intention of this act? "I'm fine, dear," she said with a chuckle.

When I turned to face Adagio, he was already staring at me. Despite the fact that he was a member of this family, my eyes begged him to get me out of here. My gaze was drawn to Arlo, who appeared to be concerned. I am just so lost.

I'm not sure who is being genuine and who is faking. 

I sighed and pushed my thoughts aside. Being unsure of a subject can cause a lot of stress, trust issues, and needless assumptions, and I don't want to be the person who misjudges people. So I'd rather go along until the truth comes to me. And I'm confident it will.

I am not a depressed person; I smile in the face of hardship, and that is what defines me. I need to stop overthinking. It complicates things and causes me to worry for no reason. Why overthink something that did not happen?

I smiled and sighed at them. They are my family, and it is my duty to respect and love them for who they were, are, and will be.

"I'll bring you some snacks," I said as I stood up. I looked at Adagio before heading to the kitchen, and he seemed impressed?

I arranged random snacks I found in the pantry. And I was filling the glasses with juice. "Need help?" The sudden voice made me flinch, causing me to spill the juice on the floor.

"Oh no, I'm sorry," I heard the panic voice. I averted my gaze from the juice on the floor to the person next to me.  I let out a silent gasp, when I saw him so close after a long time,. "Arlo," I hushed. I hadn't spoken to him in so long that I couldn't recognize his voice.

He and I were always together when we were younger, up until two months before my marriage. Because of the time and days I've spent with them, he's always been the one I've relied on the most. But then he vanished into thin air just as I needed him the most.

Seeing him after nearly three months makes me nervous. Everything feels new and strange. I gasped as I felt his hand pull me towards him. I felt uneasy and sick. "Be careful, Aster," he warned, his gaze fixed on the shattered glass on the floor, but my attention was drawn entirely to his hands on my hands. "Uh.... thanks," I muttered before releasing myself from his grasp.